Why is there a Title for a Trailer House?

Page 2 of 3
On Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:15:03 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:

And of course, if it burns down and somebody is killed, your insurance won't pay off.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:55:29 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The title process is how they collect the excise tax.,
It has very little to do with ownership, it is just how they can tax a person to person sale.

As I pointed out earlier, tags and titles are 2 different things. gfretwell basically said the same thing in an earlier post, yet he keeps insisting, even after to evidence to the contrary, that titles have "very little" to do with ownership. I'm not quite sure why he doesn't believe/understand the definitions I posted from various states.
It's certainly not worth arguing about anymore.

a trailer is personal property, not real property, it does not get taxed as real estate, so in order for a municipality or state to get tax revenue to provide services etc some issued "tags" to establish the tax base.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:55:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some jurisdictions have a personal property tax to take care of this. I've never seen a tag on a mobile home sitting in a park.

Are you sure that wasn't intended for transport?
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 21:10:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Nope, you had to have a tag on any trailer. My grandfather had to buy one every year.

you had to buy it.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:59:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You do *NOT* need tags for that Gremlin. You only need tags for it if you drive it on public roads. Mobile homes do not get tags unless they are moved on public roads (the company moving them has temporary tags for this). A title is required to prove ownership. That is all.

People had to get annual tags on their mobile homes in Nebraska long ago to keep the tax man happy. That was for property taxes. It was just a window sticker. The smaller campers needed license plates to go down the road. Of course, property taxes are assessed on those too.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 20:24:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman

The government treasurers are sending out real property tax statements for the mobile homes now. The window stickers are no longer necessary. I think one had to pay the tax in the past to get the window stickers. It was more like licensing a vehicle if memory serves.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 20:24:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman

the other - not both.. But getting permission to live in a trailer full time isn't easy. There are a very few year-round "trailer parks". One in Waterloo (Martin's) one out by Guelph on the Hwy 7 at Wllington Canvas - don't know what they call it - - -
On 10/3/2013 5:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@farm.com wrote: ...[long story elided for brevity]...

Because it's what State law in your state seems to say is why.
It's generally so and as others have noted if it is so in the state then it is the legal documentation that confers ownership.
Occupancy and all the rest are controlled by the local jurisdiction's rules.

No, real property has a deed instead.
Again, you need what you need because of what state law is in the state of residence. There is (and need not be) any other reason than that. "Rules is rules"...
As others have noted, in such an instance if the area you reside in is unzoned you may be able to get buy w/o doing anything; if, otoh it is zoned and subject to such ordinances then you could find you've got a sticky wicket if you ignore the niceties upfront.

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:39:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@farm.com wrote:

Does this mean they won't let you have it, at your own risk? Maybe you can just sign something promising to hold the vendor/giver and r realtor and list anyone else involved harmless if you have expenses down the road because there is no title. Maybe it can't happen here but in some cases, the owner would come back, find the trailer or your land, and force you to buy a shed to hold its contents so he can tow away the trailer. Or even, though he might be liable in the long run, he might be hard to find (even though he has this big trailer with him) after he throws everything you own out into the rain and mud the rainy night he decides to tow away the trailer, maybe even the night you go away on your two week vacation so it all sits out there in the rain or people driving buy pick over the stuff and take most of it away.
If you're willing to bear the risk of that happening, there's no reason you shouldn't sign the paper described above. If they'll accept that.
Why wouldn't you be? Well, just guessing, and with no experience in anything related to this, without the title they had a hard time notifying the owner that they were going to demolish the trailers. Maybe the original owner died and the county has hired a private detective to try to find heirs. Maybe they'll never find an heir or the time limit on looking is up soon, so the risk to you is verrrry small. Even if they do find one, what are the odds he'll throw your stuff in the mud. Probably zero.
Things to ask about. "Why doesn't this one have a title when the others do?" seems more important than why to trailers need a title.
Most problems that one can imagine never really happen, so I'd take it if I could get it, even with the small risks I listed, which may or may not be real.
OTOH, the reason such a nice one is left might be that it doesn't have a title. If it did, maybe it would be gone by now.

Here, it would need plates to move, which requires a title. A trailer without plates on some land requires taxes, but if it has plate, no tax. If no plate, and accident, big problem. You can also get ticket.
Greg

Legally, but cops will sometimes give someone a break. My friend was pulling my little trailer with no lights and no plate, and he would do this at dawn so there was light but very little traffic, and the cop caught him about to turn right 200 yards from his home. The cop said don't do it again.
I bought a new used car, which I couldn't register until I owned it. Was going to take the bus to the DMV but something came up and I had to drive. Which would be worse, to drive with no plates or with plates from the old car which didn't match this car and which were dirty, in contrast to the new clean car. Chose the latter, got stopped 5 blocks away from my house, not headed home. Cop looked at the hand written bill of sale, from the previous day, and let me go. Didn't get stopped the rest of the day (driving time maybe only 20 minutes.)
Here it's a little complicated and he can plead confusiion. Plus which I should have mentioned first, didn't he hire someone to tow it? Does that require plates or a title? I think they tow cars without plates all the time.

On 10/4/2013 5:58 AM, micky wrote: ...

Wouldn't be so lucky here, I'd wager...they're straight by-the-book on trailers--_might_ have let him go home with it that close but I'd not even bet on that; generally you park 'em where they catch you until you've got a legal setup no matter where/no matter what.

I don't know where your "here" is, but I'd be surprised if any locale made you "park 'em where they catch you" in all cases.
If Officer Friendly sees me towing an illegal trailer down the busiest street in your town, be it a major highway or Main Street, I'd be surprised if the cops made me park it right there. Seems like a major safety and/or traffic congestion issue to me.
Even if (s)he followed me until I turned onto a side street, perhaps your street, do you think (s)he'd make me leave an illegal trailer parked in front of your house until I had all of the correct documents? I'm sure you wouldn't like that very much.
I'm not really sure what (s)he might make me do, but "park 'em where they catch you" doesn't seem like it would always be the best choice.
On 10/4/2013 9:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It was a descriptive writing, not absolutely literal.
And ain't best for the one stopped, agreed...they'll have you drag it off the street to the nearest parking lot or side street and not be movin' it 'til you are legal, however. I've seen it on everything from the local DIY pickup-box to the gooseneck commercial oilfield guys on their way to/from a job; no mercy given that I've observed and I'd not risk it here w/o checking first on a special case like OP's.
It's at least moderately likely on an old trailer like OP's they'd make you move it like a house rather than pull it given it's likely the tires are rotten if there are any left and all else likely substandard...if you got it permitted w/ escort and all you _might_ get by but not just trying to sneak 'er by under the radar--then you'll be really cross-ways w/ 'em to start with by knowingly trying to skirt the rules.