Why is there a Title for a Trailer House?

Oh, good grief. It's not real estate (it would be a "deed" if it were). It's personal property and treated just like a car or boat. Tax? Sure in some jurisdictions there is a personal property tax but not most and certainly not everywhere trailers are titled.

Reply to
krw

Nope. HUD approval is only for HUD approved loans (or mortgages that may be packaged and sold to HUD). Many homes aren't HUD approved but are real estate. In many places a mobile home (trailer) that has its hitch cut off ant axles removed becomes real estate.

Everywhere in Florida? That's dumb.

Reply to
krw

You do *NOT* need tags for that Gremlin. You only need tags for it if you drive it on public roads. Mobile homes do not get tags unless they are moved on public roads (the company moving them has temporary tags for this). A title is required to prove ownership. That is all.

Reply to
krw

Some jurisdictions have a personal property tax to take care of this. I've never seen a tag on a mobile home sitting in a park.

Reply to
krw

Are you sure that wasn't intended for transport?

Reply to
krw

People had to get annual tags on their mobile homes in Nebraska long ago to keep the tax man happy. That was for property taxes. It was just a window sticker. The smaller campers needed license plates to go down the road. Of course, property taxes are assessed on those too.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Personal property (tax) or real property? It makes a difference.

Reply to
krw

The government treasurers are sending out real property tax statements for the mobile homes now. The window stickers are no longer necessary. I think one had to pay the tax in the past to get the window stickers. It was more like licensing a vehicle if memory serves.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Up here it's either a vehicle or a residence - gets taxed one way or the other - not both.. But getting permission to live in a trailer full time isn't easy. There are a very few year-round "trailer parks". One in Waterloo (Martin's) one out by Guelph on the Hwy 7 at Wllington Canvas - don't know what they call it - - -

Reply to
clare

Here, it would need plates to move, which requires a title. A trailer without plates on some land requires taxes, but if it has plate, no tax. If no plate, and accident, big problem. You can also get ticket.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It also refers to what is sold in interstate commerce.

It would vary by wind code zone

I suppose if you can find a 115 MPH rated trailer you could put it up on the central Georgia line somewhere but most Florida residents live in a 130 MPH or greater area.,

gfretwell

Nope, you had to have a tag on any trailer. My grandfather had to buy one every year.

Reply to
gfretwell

Legally, but cops will sometimes give someone a break. My friend was pulling my little trailer with no lights and no plate, and he would do this at dawn so there was light but very little traffic, and the cop caught him about to turn right 200 yards from his home. The cop said don't do it again.

I bought a new used car, which I couldn't register until I owned it. Was going to take the bus to the DMV but something came up and I had to drive. Which would be worse, to drive with no plates or with plates from the old car which didn't match this car and which were dirty, in contrast to the new clean car. Chose the latter, got stopped 5 blocks away from my house, not headed home. Cop looked at the hand written bill of sale, from the previous day, and let me go. Didn't get stopped the rest of the day (driving time maybe only 20 minutes.)

Here it's a little complicated and he can plead confusiion. Plus which I should have mentioned first, didn't he hire someone to tow it? Does that require plates or a title? I think they tow cars without plates all the time.

Reply to
micky

Never mind my previous post. You were actually answering his question, which is also in the subject line. I was back at the practical issues, which he actually didn't ask about.

Reply to
micky

On 10/4/2013 5:58 AM, micky wrote: ...

Wouldn't be so lucky here, I'd wager...they're straight by-the-book on trailers--_might_ have let him go home with it that close but I'd not even bet on that; generally you park 'em where they catch you until you've got a legal setup no matter where/no matter what.

Reply to
dpb

I don't know where your "here" is, but I'd be surprised if any locale made you "park 'em where they catch you" in all cases.

If Officer Friendly sees me towing an illegal trailer down the busiest street in your town, be it a major highway or Main Street, I'd be surprised if the cops made me park it right there. Seems like a major safety and/or traffic congestion issue to me.

Even if (s)he followed me until I turned onto a side street, perhaps your street, do you think (s)he'd make me leave an illegal trailer parked in front of your house until I had all of the correct documents? I'm sure you wouldn't like that very much.

I'm not really sure what (s)he might make me do, but "park 'em where they catch you" doesn't seem like it would always be the best choice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It was a descriptive writing, not absolutely literal.

And ain't best for the one stopped, agreed...they'll have you drag it off the street to the nearest parking lot or side street and not be movin' it 'til you are legal, however. I've seen it on everything from the local DIY pickup-box to the gooseneck commercial oilfield guys on their way to/from a job; no mercy given that I've observed and I'd not risk it here w/o checking first on a special case like OP's.

It's at least moderately likely on an old trailer like OP's they'd make you move it like a house rather than pull it given it's likely the tires are rotten if there are any left and all else likely substandard...if you got it permitted w/ escort and all you _might_ get by but not just trying to sneak 'er by under the radar--then you'll be really cross-ways w/ 'em to start with by knowingly trying to skirt the rules.

Reply to
dpb

It must have been your use of the words "no matter where/no matter what" that confused me. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you had to buy it.

Reply to
gfretwell

By that I meant little likelihood of getting let off just because were close to home or the like as the story was responding to related...the leeway generally just isn't given here on trailers on account of there have been so many bad incidents that have happened in the past it's a real point of enforcement.

Reply to
dpb