Why does my snow blower not shear the shear bolts?

Page 1 of 2
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major hassle to change. Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the original Ariens shear bolt part. Is this a problem that the belt is slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? It's a fairly new snow blower. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 30, 8:03 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

wow interesting
I'll bet if you ran over a rock instead of a newspaper, the shear bolts would shear becasue its an impact, the newspaper is too soft and absorbs too much of the impact...
Just like an impact wrench can exert 300 ft lbs yet you can hold it easily.
So maybe you can take the new shear bolts and cut a notch in them to weaken them before you install them.. so when they try to bend they will break...
Or loosen the belt more so it slips easier when the blade jams and you can shut the engine off before it burns the belt
Or tighten the belt so the jam stalls the engine
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Why don't you pick up the paper?
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Astute reading skills "choc".
Add pictures here
✖

Well, if he posted "Today I picked up the newspaper.", that wouldn't generate too much chatter here would it?
Besides, he said it was hidden in the snow.
Perhaps a better Q is why doesn't the delivery service put it in the newspaper box on the post?
Add pictures here
✖

We don't need no stinkin' posts.
ACtually you have a point. It might be too much to ask for the paper to be in the box every day, but maybe when it's snowing the guy would do it for the OP.
Sort of similar, I constantly tried to get the UPS etc. guys to leave a note if they also left my package, so if a package were stolen I'd know it came. But once I got one guy to do it, he was transferred. So I started getting packages sent to a friend's business.
This year the news broadcast video of people stealing packages off of their porches.
Add pictures here
✖

I can't even get them to have the decency to ring the doorbell when they drop a package. I am usually there.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, another problem. Also with the mailman, who occasoinsally leaves slips about certified mail. I'm usually here and he know is but I thin he just doesn't bring any cerified mail with him at all since most people aren't home.
Add pictures here
✖

That's the deal we have. He drives by throwing them out of the car window.
Add pictures here
✖
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in wrote:

Maybe you should throw the payment at him when he goes by. If he claims he did not get payment, tell him it must have gotten chewed up in the snowblower because it got burried in the snow LIKE THE F*ING NEWSPAPER.
Add pictures here
✖

Lol. The payment goes directly to Gannet newspaper via my credit card, not to the guy driving the car.
Add pictures here
✖
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in wrote:

Gannet, ugh! Depressing scumbuckets.
Add pictures here
✖
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Another question: Why does he still GET a newspaper?
Add pictures here
✖

It's called local news. Not everyone sits around their local Star Bucks reading the news on their wi-fi network. I have to take my kids on various errands etc and it's good to have and yes it sure beats getting a cell phone with web access.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:03:17 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Likely has bolts instead of shear pins. They are NOT the same.
Also important to keep the shaft/auger interface lubricated so the pin CAN shear.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 30, 10:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't think I ever said they were pins??? They are bolts (as I said) with two notches cut and a lock nut on the end. I do keep the auger shaft lubricated with like a Mobil 1 brand grease tube (used in a grease gun.)
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:08:48 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What you describe is the proper shear pin.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 30, 7:03 pm, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try using brass bolts...although I have not experimented with this suggestion.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 31, 6:32 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The original Ariens shear bolt is brass...in color anyway. I just bought some aftermarket shear bolts by Oregon and they are the exact same size but not brass. I've always had excellent experience with parts by Oregon. I think my Stihl 025 chainsaw is now like 60% Oregon parts now. Anyway I'll give these a whirl and see what happens. Like the other posters have said maybe with the newspaper it absorbs the initial impact etc.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:31:41 -0800 (PST), poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The originals are cadmium plated steel. Yellow cad plating is almost unheard of in America today due to the toxic process
Add pictures here
✖