why does bathroom mirror overlaps backsplash?

In two out of my three bathrooms, the bottom the bathroom mirror overlaps the top of the backsplash (made up of tiles and wood trim) by about 1/2 inch.
Is there a reason for this overlap? The house is 15 years old.
I'm remodeling the backsplash and therefore need to remove the mirror and put it back later. When I do, I wonder if it's ok not to overlap the mirror with the backsplash.
On 07 Feb 2004, peter wrote:

Sometimes, we tend to overlook the obvious :-)
Splashing water, condensation, gravity. Think in terms of roof shingles...

Only if you want the possibility of water getting in behind the backsplash.
snipped-for-privacy@icubed.com wrote:

You could caulk the backsplash to keep water from getting behind it although I've never had a problem with water behind the backsplash. I'd be more concerned about water's getting behind the mirror and causing it to desilver (if that's a word) and that's a problem I have had.
I, too, have had mirrors desilver because of moisture. They sit several inches above the backsplash and I am sure, water has never actually splashed to them - nor has it fallen behind backsplash. It's just moisture condensed on the mirror.
All of my bathrooms have backsplashes with caulk sealing them. None of them touch the mirrors. Not just in this house, but in the previous house as well.
Dorothy
My mirror too has desilver at the bottom. How do you prevent that from happening to new mirror?

inches
them -

Wish I knew. The mirrors with a frame around them didn't have this problem - so don't know if it was the frame or if they were just a better grade of mirror to start with.
Dorothy
peter wrote:

its so the water that forms on the mirror will flow down and not behind the backspash.....