Why do you pay for a telephone?

Page 3 of 3
willshak wrote:

Computers are not necessarily involved, other than the sign-up.
willshak wrote:

While you need a computer to set it up initially, you don't need a computer to actually use it.
[snip]

Then you can receive as many annoying calls away from home (cell phone) as you do at home.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I'd say go for it. About 9 months ago a TW rep. knocked on my door [and all my neighbor's doors], told me what I was paying MCI, and asked if I wanted to save $40 a month.
'Phone company'? Cable company? - Who is worse, I wondered. But I've had a noisy buried cable since I've lived here [25yrs or so] and threats to the PSC are the only thing that ever moved MCI or Verizon [who used to be my carrier]. Then a few months later I'd get the bad pair again & we'd start all over.
So I figured cable-phone can't be too bad. Got a special deal where it cost $12 a month for the first year - caller ID, call waiting, . . . . [2 other things I can't recall- but I remember he kept saying 4 somethings]. No voice mail, but I hated MCI's anyway. Right now I'm saving $68 a month- but in a few months it will go up a bit.
So far it has worked as advertised, which is more Verizon or MCI were ever able to do.
Jim [oh- and on the original thread- we haven't found a cell phone yet that works in my house. I'm in a suburban area just outside a small city, and 20 miles from NY's capital. .. but I'm under a hill and have aluminum siding on the house. My daughter's Iphone can text from the house- but talking is risky- and we've had sprint, Verizon and some other phones here that don't work at all.]

A while back my internet service was out. Tried to call the cable company about it an discovered that the phone was dead too. Flipped on the TV to confirm that cable-tv was out too.
I don't really care as my cell phone is my primary and the housephone is just for business.

We moved our land line to the cable company a short while ago. Works as expected and is less expensive in the bundle.
Then the cable company sent me a letter for "free HBO and HBO On Demand channels". The hook was that if I canceled any portion of the bundle within one year it would cost me $55.00. No problem on that.
I'll cancel the HBO when they send me a bill next summer.