Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Page 2 of 5

I'm not seeing Japanese in there. I cut my teeth on Japanese motorcycles in the early 70s and gar-own-damn-tee you 12mm is as common a fastener size on those things as teriyaki sauce on salmon. So much so, I wondered if it was possible to have 12 and 13mm open end wrench heads grafted on my fingertips. ;)

That sounds strangely familiar

Howzabout them Puchs and CZs? Weird sizes on those babies. These later global-parts cars are also a hoot. No telling what you'll find on them.
True Story:
I worked on Puch "twingle" (Allstate 250), with 4 square-head head bolts. I'd borrowed a gorgeous set of Snap-On combo wrenches from a trusting acquaintance. I discovered I could only get to the square 10mm bolt heads, buried deep between the cooling fins, by using the open-end wrench end-wise. IOW, the open-end slipped over the sqr head from the top, the wrench shaft sticking straight out along the same center axis as the bolt shaft. I then used an adjustable wrench (Crescent) to grab the 10mm wrench shaft at a 90deg angle to turn the open-end wrench. Got the picture?
I broke 3 bolts loose no problem. The 4th was a bit more stubborn. I kept at it, putting more and more torque on the little 10mm wrench. When the last bolt finally broke loose, I was relieved, but then immediately horrified to discover the Snap-On 10mm wrench shaft was now permenently twisted 45deg from its open-end wrench head. Yikes! This was a borrowed $300+ wrench set. How could I explain it?
I did the repair and quickly reassembled the engine. As I retorqued the head bolts back down, I put enough pressure on each bolt to attempt re-twisting the 10mm wrench shaft back to its original straight form. When I finished, it appeared to have worked, as planned. The wrench shaft appeared perfectly aligned, again, and no worse for wear. I even told my buddy the whole bizarre story and told him if he could identify which wrench I'd deformed and then reformed, I would replace it. He couldn't!
Point of story? That's the difference between quality tools and junk. Pay the $$$ for quality. You'll never regret it. ;)
nb

Forgot the biggest one - 10 years as Toyota mservice manager, and another several as Toyota mechanic. As service manager, I was a WORKING service manager for most of the time - on the bench about half time.

You'll get no argument from me. ;)
nb
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My jap bikes made proficient use of the 12mm socket. Same with 10mm and 14mm.
Can't recall the last time I've used it, though (haven't had a bike in a few decades). A lot of the chinese stuff I have uses 13mm though.
Jon

11/16 works well on a 17mm nut. Over time though, any wrench used on the wrong size will eventually damage the nut or bolt head. OK in an emergency, but only a hack would do it on a regular basis.

...or a po' boy, who can't afford the luxury of a whole roll-away w/ two different standards of wrench sets!
When I was jes a young cuss, I used to delight on how much I could do with how little. I swear, I could almost tear down my first real motorcycle, a Matchless 500 thumper, with a couple crescent (adj) wrenches, a hammer, and a pair of channel-locks. ;)
nb

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets With the missing MM having the same size in SAE 5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches 5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315 and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm. but 10 mm is very common and is normally included
Spud
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:33:37 -0400, "spud42"

3/8" and 10mm are not close enough to be useable. 11mm and 716" are.

Thats the one I didn't get a 11mm 10mm is the one i always lose and your right 3/8 isn't close enough

Two of my setup guys thought that too. After rounding off too many flange nuts I found out what they were doing and a lot of aggravation was saved in the long run. Better to buy one socket $10 than to change dozens of $4 nuts
spud42 wrote the following:

There is another consideration. Not all tool manufacturers make precise tools unless they are a specialty tool company. That includes metric or SAE. One of my 14mm open end wrenches from one company is 14.5mm, and one from another company is 14.25mm. If you have a pair of inside calipers, and more than one brand of wrenches, check it yourself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds like a quality issue. It's been my experience, Japan makes a lotta great stuff. Mechanics tools are not among them. Use a Japanese 14.25mm open-end wrench a few times and it WILL become 14.5!
nb

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30 The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only 7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.
Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"
On Nov 5, 7:01pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ummm, wouldn't that be the exact reason that you'd want a particular size wrench? Nothing else fits!

There was a farmer who had a dog, And Bingo was his name-O. B-I-N-G-O! B- I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! ...

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo. The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

A few years abck when I lived in the land Ft Bragg in FayetteNam I got a cat and thought it would be cool to name it Sniper. As you say, going out calling Sniper Sniper was a bad idea.
So I figure just give her a neutral name and call her Little Girl. Being in the over 50 age range, going outside and calling "Here Little Girl, Come here Little Girl." also turned out to be a bad idea.
On 11/5/2010 8:00 PM, Red Green wrote:

But there are no 9mm bolts or nuts. If it is "buggered", you'd probably go after it with something else. Who would make a bolt that there were no tools for?
Jeff
Jeff
re: 9mm wrenches - Also used by FORD on crash-pad nuts and by VW on clutch bleader screws - so I stand corrected - there are a few (not specifically "special app") automotive applications - but they do NOT conform to ANSI/ISO, which most american industries (as well as the French) use as their spec, or DIN, which is German, or JIS which is Japanese.
Is there another Metric standard incommon use???

Kluge?