Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

18mm is standard ANSI/ISO nut size. 15mm is not. What vehicle, and where?
Reply to
clare

Well, I've been working on Metric vehicles since 1969, and have never required a 9mm wrench that I can remember. I DO have a couple totally pristine 9mm sockets though. There are some 9mm 12 point fasteners I believe also on VW clutches - you use a special VW service tool to service the pressure plate.- again, a special application where you would/should not use a combination wrench - and the open end part would definitely not fit. That's automotive/industrial And I've worked on British, German, French, Italian, American, Russian,French, Korean, Mexican, Canadian, as well as a few other, vehicles.

I think I heard the float needle seat on some itallian motorcycles are 9mm HEX - requiring a thinwall 9mm scoket to take them out - but a

9mm open end, box end, or combination wrench wouldn't do that job either. Mabee brake bleeder screws - (Honda Motorcycles?) you could use a combi wrench there

Now on BICYCLES, that's a different story.- like I said - special apps

- non standard. Wacky non-standard thread pitches, particularly on Italian stuff. And Chinese?????? a 9mm wrench might fit something that was SUPPOSED to be either 8 or 10.

Reply to
clare

"LSMFT" wrote

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"notbob" wrote

11/16 works well on a 17mm nut. Over time though, any wrench used on the wrong size will eventually damage the nut or bolt head. OK in an emergency, but only a hack would do it on a regular basis.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

wrote

Two of my setup guys thought that too. After rounding off too many flange nuts I found out what they were doing and a lot of aggravation was saved in the long run. Better to buy one socket $10 than to change dozens of $4 nuts

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

15mm is not a common standard nut or bolt hex size, but it will sometimes be used for a flange nut or flanged hex head bolt. I don't recall right now if I've seen it used for a plain hex nut or bolt, but the size is definitely used on many vehicles.
Reply to
Larry W

re: 9mm wrenches - Also used by FORD on crash-pad nuts and by VW on clutch bleader screws

- so I stand corrected - there are a few (not specifically "special app") automotive applications - but they do NOT conform to ANSI/ISO, which most american industries (as well as the French) use as their spec, or DIN, which is German, or JIS which is Japanese.

Is there another Metric standard incommon use???

Reply to
clare
8,10,12 and 14mm are common on Japanese motorcycles. Most odd metric sizes are not uncommon either. I don't recall EVER running across a 9mm bolt anywhere, but I could be wrong.

On the other hand I have a cheap socket set that not only has 9mm, but

4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and I think 7.5... They're a waste of space for the most part.
Reply to
Larry Fishel

British Standard Whitworth

Found on some older English motorcycles.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You might come across those odd metric sizes in imported electrical and electronic items. I see odd sizes in tape players, VCR's and other types of electromechanical gadgets.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Remember Norton motorcycles? My brother had one in the 70's. My son and I were just talking about metric/sae & I seem to recall the Norton was some bastard type, too-- neither set of wrenches fit them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

spud42 wrote the following:

There is another consideration. Not all tool manufacturers make precise tools unless they are a specialty tool company. That includes metric or SAE. One of my 14mm open end wrenches from one company is 14.5mm, and one from another company is 14.25mm. If you have a pair of inside calipers, and more than one brand of wrenches, check it yourself.

Reply to
willshak

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:Q5mdnaUaG- okU0nRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I learned about Whitworth many decades ago on my Bonneville.

Reply to
Red Green

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

A few years abck when I lived in the land Ft Bragg in FayetteNam I got a cat and thought it would be cool to name it Sniper. As you say, going out calling Sniper Sniper was a bad idea.

So I figure just give her a neutral name and call her Little Girl. Being in the over 50 age range, going outside and calling "Here Little Girl, Come here Little Girl." also turned out to be a bad idea.

Reply to
Red Green

You'll get no argument from me. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

My jap bikes made proficient use of the 12mm socket. Same with 10mm and

14mm.

Can't recall the last time I've used it, though (haven't had a bike in a few decades). A lot of the chinese stuff I have uses 13mm though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I'm not seeing Japanese in there. I cut my teeth on Japanese motorcycles in the early 70s and gar-own-damn-tee you 12mm is as common a fastener size on those things as teriyaki sauce on salmon. So much so, I wondered if it was possible to have 12 and 13mm open end wrench heads grafted on my fingertips. ;)

That sounds strangely familiar

Howzabout them Puchs and CZs? Weird sizes on those babies. These later global-parts cars are also a hoot. No telling what you'll find on them.

True Story:

I worked on Puch "twingle" (Allstate 250), with 4 square-head head bolts. I'd borrowed a gorgeous set of Snap-On combo wrenches from a trusting acquaintance. I discovered I could only get to the square

10mm bolt heads, buried deep between the cooling fins, by using the open-end wrench end-wise. IOW, the open-end slipped over the sqr head from the top, the wrench shaft sticking straight out along the same center axis as the bolt shaft. I then used an adjustable wrench (Crescent) to grab the 10mm wrench shaft at a 90deg angle to turn the open-end wrench. Got the picture?

I broke 3 bolts loose no problem. The 4th was a bit more stubborn. I kept at it, putting more and more torque on the little 10mm wrench. When the last bolt finally broke loose, I was relieved, but then immediately horrified to discover the Snap-On 10mm wrench shaft was now permenently twisted 45deg from its open-end wrench head. Yikes! This was a borrowed $300+ wrench set. How could I explain it?

I did the repair and quickly reassembled the engine. As I retorqued the head bolts back down, I put enough pressure on each bolt to attempt re-twisting the 10mm wrench shaft back to its original straight form. When I finished, it appeared to have worked, as planned. The wrench shaft appeared perfectly aligned, again, and no worse for wear. I even told my buddy the whole bizarre story and told him if he could identify which wrench I'd deformed and then reformed, I would replace it. He couldn't!

Point of story? That's the difference between quality tools and junk. Pay the $$$ for quality. You'll never regret it. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

...or a po' boy, who can't afford the luxury of a whole roll-away w/ two different standards of wrench sets!

When I was jes a young cuss, I used to delight on how much I could do with how little. I swear, I could almost tear down my first real motorcycle, a Matchless 500 thumper, with a couple crescent (adj) wrenches, a hammer, and a pair of channel-locks. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Kluge?

Reply to
notbob

Sounds like a quality issue. It's been my experience, Japan makes a lotta great stuff. Mechanics tools are not among them. Use a Japanese 14.25mm open-end wrench a few times and it WILL become 14.5!

nb

Reply to
notbob