Why are toilets made of porcelain?

Page 1 of 2
According to Gizmodo it's because porcelain is nonporous, very strong, durable, sanitary, and, well, it's because that's the way it's always been done.
http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toilets-are-still-made-of-porcelain?tag=home-mod

Unless you are in the slammer.

I was told by a plumber once that porcelain has a natural 'acidity' that helps prevent calcification of the urine.
Or, some such effect that no other material has.
On 8/2/2012 10:04 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

Porcelain is HARDER than other ceramics. Glaze would keep stuff from coming in contact with the porcelain. Before it is fired, porcelain molded is like compacted baby powder...worked on some porcelain in ceramics class and cleaning off mold marks was a bugger. Industrial stuff may have other clays added but it is interesting to work with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain

Most likely due to cost. Easy to mold, source is cheap, easy to care for...
Cost would be my best guess.
Harry K

What else could be used to create such a complex shape with the ease of care. Prison toilets are stainless steel but must cost many times the price of porcelain and be less stylish.

They are also harder to break like porcelain.

If fear of breaking your home toilet is worrying yhou, put out the horrendous cost of a stanless stell wone.
Harry K
On 08/02/2012 08:25 AM, Oren wrote:

<
http://www.masterbuilding.net/v/vspfiles/assets/images/920-5590_toilet_sink_combo.jpg
How about a combination toilet and washing machine, which uses the grey water from the washing machine to flush the toilet:
http://i.imgur.com/Kw8Q0.jpg
Jon

Not sure I want grey water in the bowl and get splashback..

harry would connect it the other way to avoid that problem.

And probably use it to wash his toothbrush...if he uses one.
Harry K

Mighty small load capacity and most times you arent' gonna be ready for a load when the toilet needs flushing. IOW a solution to a nonexistant problem.
Harry K

That just seem so unfair. They should have stylish toilets too, or it will lower their self esteem.
Nothing but the finest, for our prisoners.
"I'm a prisoner around here, and I expect to be treated like one!" Otis Campbell.

That just seem so unfair. They should have stylish toilets too, or it will lower their self esteem.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

http://gizmodo.com/5930537/why-toilets-are-still-made-of-porcelain?tag=home-mod
A lot of things are still done because that is the way it has always been done. Yet if you think about it, some things should be done differently now.
For example bathtubs started out being claw foot and stand alone. The valves were mounted low because they had to be attached to the tub. But these days the valves are mounted to the wall. They can be higher up so you can easily reach them for a shower or a bath. Yet they are still mounted low.
Why shower heads are mounted at eye level, I don't know? But those can be mounted higher.
Then electrical outlets are installed every 6 feet. Always been done that way. But these days you might need to plug in 6 different things in certain areas.
Like the king's lazy boy chair in the living room. Table lamp, corded phone, cell phone charger, clock, back massager, etc.
Or where the TV/stereo goes.
On either side of the beds in the bedrooms.
Kitchen counter top outlets.
Computer area.
Etc. It would be best to install 4 or 6 outlets in these areas.
Also we no longer "dial" a phone number, we "push" it!

I'm not exceptionally tall, but have seen some below my eye level; a real PITA to wash the hair.

Build a bigger shower. Ours is 6'x6'.

That's easy enough to do if the walls are open. Since having one, I prefer the rain heads. The head is sticking out of the middle of the 9' ceiling. No having to bend down to rinse my hair. ;-)

That's great. Each of our bathrooms would fit inside your shower.
On 03 Aug 2012 06:06:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

The bathroom is 12'x12', and that's one of eight. ;-)

I installed a "hand held" spray head (dunno what the tech term is). Spray head on a handlw with a hose back to the where the normal spray head goes. Did that the first day back from using one when visiting. Never go without one again.
Also if the layout allows, put an 'assist handle" in front of the toilet about armslenth ahead of it and about shoulder height. Amazing assist in getting off the pot. I had to put one up for mydisabled wife and the first tiem I used it wished that I had done it 30 years earlier.
Harry K