Who says Home Depot won't negotiate?

Houston-area Home Depot employee was run down by a van while trying to apprehend pallet thieves in 2008.
Home Depot offered a reward of $50,000 for the perp.
Employee dies.
Home Depot ups reward to $100,000.
Florida man comes forward with tip leading to arrest of suspect who immediately confesses.
Home Depot begins negotiation on reward; their current offer is $40,000.
Snitch sues.
http://www.fortbendnow.com/2009/04/13/37093
Add pictures here
βœ–
HeyBub wrote:

HD - AH(A**hole)?
Add pictures here
βœ–

The article says that HD's position is "He said the company’s argument is that it announced the reward was “up to $100,000.”
How does anyone, in good concience, start with an award of $50K (even if it was stated as "up to $50K") then increase it to "up to $100K" but offer less than the original amount? What was the point of raising the stated amount? Did they do it just entice someone to come forward?
"I ain't snitching for $50K, but for $100K I'm singin' like a bird!"
If they got a confession via the tip, but think it's only worth $40K, I wonder what someone would have to have done in order to get closer to the "up to" amount? Run the perp over with an HD rental truck?
Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Need I say it? For the most part big box outfits are just sheenies who spend a fortune in marketing trying to create an image that isn't reality.

Add pictures here
βœ–

What's a 'sheenie'?
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Race" is an artificial construct designed to categorize humans by their external appearance. It has no biological basis whatsoever.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"George"

You mean like our government does?