Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Silly, you just have to believe in yourself and constantly spout that all precautions are nonsense...

Reply to
George

Some people are really sensitive to odors, almost like a blood hound. I know a lady who know if a smoker was at one time in the room, two years ago!

Reply to
Frank

Due to air quality control, there are days our city ask us not to use any gas operated yard equipment. Some people do smell it and get really sick.

Reply to
Frank

You used the number 4 in your sentence. Does knowledge have an expiration date? In other words, if something is discovered today, and all scientists agree it's a valid discovery, does the discovery become invalid after a certain period of time, like the way milk goes bad?

Please define that period of time.

You said "4".

And by the way, the studies are correct. Who would need to publish the exact same data in order for you to believe it? Name one organization, agency or news source you would believe.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Heh. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OK fine. I'm getting gas, and I'm not referring to the results of last night's dinner.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

they used to use leeches and have 'blood lettings' at the barber shop. Do you think that "knowledge" expired?

S. Barker

Of course, but that knowledge was discovered to be nonsense. Let's stay focused on the real subject at hand. What would need to happen in order for you to believe research about the harmful effects of a product like Roundup?

You're a scientific guy. I'm sure you can answer the question.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would need to see such warnings in the product MSDS. That's where the FACTS are. Even if it is a government mandated publication, they do seem to be accurate. I've been in the lawn and landscape business for 13 years and have read a lot of MSDS's. I had just never had occasion to read the roundup one until now. I was surprized to find it as safe as it is. I don't think i'll put some on my cheerios, but i do think i'll kill the hay field with it and not worry about it.

S. Barker

You must be very young. You've missed 40 years worth of chemical company antics involving safety and lack of testing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I handle life just fine by making choices that suit me, not YOU.

I did hire the mowing and weeding out for a couple of years but got tired of paying an illegal alien better than $50 an hour to do what I could do myself. Now the job is done right, the way I want it done and saves money too.

Reply to
BobR

I expect to see more cities and metro areas moving toward banning gas powered yard equipment during certain hours and even for extended periods of high polution as the environmental standards get tighter. That has been proposed in the Houston area and in the DFW area during the summer months.

Your other comment about the woman who could smell cigarette smoke two years later might be a bit on the extreme side of sensitive. I am an ex-smoker who quit thirty years ago and then developed an allergy to cigarette smoke. Getting around it will cause my sinus and lungs to start closing down with symptoms similar to ashma. That is not the case with the gas powered yard tools though, it is simply a preference issue. I don't like the smell, don't like having it penetrate my clothes and since there is a very good alternative, I can avoid it.

Reply to
BobR

Ha!! I've use Round Up as well as a "trimmer"!

Reply to
me

In this day and age when you don't even have to prove that a product did you harm to reap a massive cash settlement out of it's manufacturer, they can't afford that anymore.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Actually, they have no choice but to accept the risks, since the vast majority of agriculture chemicals can never be properly tested on humans.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Look into the 4 cycle gas jobs. I have a 2 cycle Husqvarna and it was impossible to have the engine fixed under warrantee. They say I put in raw gas or oil/gas mix ratio too lean or gas over 30 days old. Yes, 31 day old gas even with fuel stabilizer will void the warranty - just too many options for them not to do the repair.

I had a corded one years ago and it was under power, maybe different now with the new models.

Reply to
Frank

Yeah...I'll look into that. I have no interest in mixing gas & oil. More funnels, more paraphernalia. It would be nice to use just one gas can for the mower, outboard motor & trimmer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Be sure to ask. I don't know about other brands, but, the stihl 4 stroke uses mixed gas. So even though it's the best string trimmer money can buy, you'd not get away from having the mix. I can't really imagine any small string trimmer having an oil filled crankcase. It'd be hard to lube properly in an all position engine.

S. Barker

Yes, but you have to license Monsanto's GM Roundup proof crop seeds each year...

Reply to
Pete C.

Actually, it sucks trying to fill a trimmer (or chain saw) tank from a 5 gal gas can. As for funnels and mixing, that's ancient history, these days you either get individual oil bottles to match the 1 gal gas can you use, or the squeeze-measure type bulk bottles like those for the stabil. I use just a single quality 40:1 mix for all my disparate brands of 2 cycle stuff, always use Stabil in every batch and never worry about the age of the fuel batch (~4-6 months is typical). None of my 2 cycle stuff has had any complaints from this over the past 10 years or so.

Reply to
Pete C.