Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Page 3 of 3
You must be very young. You've missed 40 years worth of chemical company antics involving safety and lack of testing.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In this day and age when you don't even have to prove that a product did you harm to reap a massive cash settlement out of it's manufacturer, they can't afford that anymore.

Actually, they have no choice but to accept the risks, since the vast majority of agriculture chemicals can never be properly tested on humans.
yes it is actually. i even use it between the rows of stuff in our garden beats running the tiller through there 20 times a season.

How do you know it's safe?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

all precautions are nonsense...

Heh. :-)
"S. Barker" wrote:

Yes, but you have to license Monsanto's GM Roundup proof crop seeds each year...
LIQUID WEEDEATER! I live by it. Works for two years if you mix it strong.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.

Ha!! I've use Round Up as well as a "trimmer"!

I like the 4cycle gas ones. They go and go, don't use much fuel, start easily. I've been though cordless, replacement batteries nearly the cost of a new one, I've never been happier. The one I have is Ryobi, but they mostly seem to be of the same manufacturer, The Toros & several others seem identical other than color and markings,
yes, the FS-110 from stihl that i recommended is a four stroke.
awesome machine

Approximately what did it cost?
$400

On rechargeable, short run time, under power and the battery power pack will last only last couple of years.

OK fine. I'm getting gas, and I'm not referring to the results of last night's dinner.

Look into the 4 cycle gas jobs. I have a 2 cycle Husqvarna and it was impossible to have the engine fixed under warrantee. They say I put in raw gas or oil/gas mix ratio too lean or gas over 30 days old. Yes, 31 day old gas even with fuel stabilizer will void the warranty - just too many options for them not to do the repair.
I had a corded one years ago and it was under power, maybe different now with the new models.

Yeah...I'll look into that. I have no interest in mixing gas & oil. More funnels, more paraphernalia. It would be nice to use just one gas can for the mower, outboard motor & trimmer.
Be sure to ask. I don't know about other brands, but, the stihl 4 stroke uses mixed gas. So even though it's the best string trimmer money can buy, you'd not get away from having the mix. I can't really imagine any small string trimmer having an oil filled crankcase. It'd be hard to lube properly in an all position engine.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Actually, it sucks trying to fill a trimmer (or chain saw) tank from a 5 gal gas can. As for funnels and mixing, that's ancient history, these days you either get individual oil bottles to match the 1 gal gas can you use, or the squeeze-measure type bulk bottles like those for the stabil. I use just a single quality 40:1 mix for all my disparate brands of 2 cycle stuff, always use Stabil in every batch and never worry about the age of the fuel batch (~4-6 months is typical). None of my 2 cycle stuff has had any complaints from this over the past 10 years or so.