Who's in love with their string trimmer?

How about a 300 foot cord that threatens to knock down delicate plants as you move around corners?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have to agree with you Dave. I have an electric mower, electric trimmer, and electric blower. I pull the cord out with the mower, mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. I prefer them for two very good reasons. First is the noise factor and the second is the SMELL. I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and oil every time I did the yard. I have had gas versions of all of the above and gave them away when I bought the electric. The cord can be a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern, it goes quickly.

Reply to
BobR

I have to agree with you Dave. I have an electric mower, electric trimmer, and electric blower. I pull the cord out with the mower, mow, edge, and trim all in about 30 minutes. I prefer them for two very good reasons. First is the noise factor and the second is the SMELL. I hated haveing to end up smelling like a mixture of gas and oil every time I did the yard. I have had gas versions of all of the above and gave them away when I bought the electric. The cord can be a bit of a pain when mowing but once you get down the right pattern, it goes quickly.

===================

If your gas powered lawnmower smells bad, it's because it's BROKEN. Fix it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

LIQUID WEEDEATER! I live by it. Works for two years if you mix it strong.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.

Reply to
S. Barker

yes it is actually. i even use it between the rows of stuff in our garden beats running the tiller through there 20 times a season.

S. Barker

like food.

i forgot to mention i have just looked up the msds on roundup to see if it was safe for horses. I found out the stuff is nearly non-toxic completely.

S. Barker

yes, the FS-110 from stihl that i recommended is a four stroke.

awesome machine

S. Barker

Who tested it on horses? Show your source.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you know it's safe?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Approximately what did it cost?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom
[snip]

I've tried cordless and didn't think they had enough power or longevity; I tried corded and didn't like the cord "tail" I had to drag around everywhere, or having to uncoil and untangle/recoil a long cord at the end of work. I tried one of those power-head + trimmer attachment rigs which I thought was too heavy and awkward for extensive use.

What I found that I really like is a high-wheeled gas-driven string trimmer. Sears has one, and presumably there are other brands around. It does not have a "bump" line dispenser -- instead it uses a really heavy-duty line that may go for several weeks without needing replacement, and it's just a matter of cutting the right length of line from a spool and snapping the replacement in place.

The Sears Craftsman trimmer has never needed service and is now nine years old. It starts every time, even after I let it sit for two years because I was using a lawn service. Most of all, I like it because I don't have to carry it and it's light enough to push easily wherever I want to use it.

Reply to
JimR

if it's non toxic to a pheasant and a mouse, then it's not going to hurt a horse. duh..

S. Barker

$400

Reply to
S. Barker

Enjoy:

JoeSpareBedroom

thanks, now what does a 4 year old propaganda sheet from a left wing tree hugger group have to do with it?

S. Barker

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower, blower, trimmer or other yard tool.

Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.

Reply to
BobR

I thought about the cordless version when I bought my last trimmer and mower but decided against it. I have had acceptable performance from those cordless tools that I use frequently but I haven't had the same experience with the infrequent use cordless tools. Seems that if you use the tool on a regular basis it maintains the charge better. Infrequent use and the batteries don't seem to last.

Reply to
BobR

Sounds like you just need to hire the weedeating and mowing out. You can't handle life.

best stay inside and watch tv.

I didn't have to carry the mower around while using it but not the case for the trimmer and blower. Both the blower and trimmer were impossible to use without having the fumes get into your clothes and you. The fuel oil mixture smell like crap and required wearing a filtered mask. Screw that. I won't have another gas powered mower, blower, trimmer or other yard tool.

Now I could start in on the environmental improvement of using the electric but hell, I am no environmental nut.

Reply to
S. Barker

On rechargeable, short run time, under power and the battery power pack will last only last couple of years.

Reply to
Frank

Not sure if you are a gadfly or really practice what you write but I know someone who sounded exactly like you. Just throw caution to the wind and expose yourself as much as possible to everything because all precautions are total nonsense. That was until he developed liver cancer which was clearly related to some of the solvents he often exposed himself to.

Reply to
George