Who's in love with their string trimmer?

Page 2 of 3

I know you're probably sold on an electric trimer, DON'T. I did the same thing three years ago and only have a 1/3 acre lot. Just yesterday I ditched the electric and went gas. I was simply tired of dragging a cord around the yard, having it snare on trees, cars, shrubs, etc. From what I've heard the rechargables will last one season MAYBE two, and they cost pretty close to a cheapy gas powered one.

would your advice be the same for corded electric mowers as well?

ohhhh. Well, you know, I still think it would be worth the convenience of not messing with gas and not dragging a cord.
wrote

How about a 300 foot cord that threatens to knock down delicate plants as you move around corners?

I thought about the cordless version when I bought my last trimmer and mower but decided against it. I have had acceptable performance from those cordless tools that I use frequently but I haven't had the same experience with the infrequent use cordless tools. Seems that if you use the tool on a regular basis it maintains the charge better. Infrequent use and the batteries don't seem to last.
[snip]

I've tried cordless and didn't think they had enough power or longevity; I tried corded and didn't like the cord "tail" I had to drag around everywhere, or having to uncoil and untangle/recoil a long cord at the end of work. I tried one of those power-head + trimmer attachment rigs which I thought was too heavy and awkward for extensive use.
What I found that I really like is a high-wheeled gas-driven string trimmer. Sears has one, and presumably there are other brands around. It does not have a "bump" line dispenser -- instead it uses a really heavy-duty line that may go for several weeks without needing replacement, and it's just a matter of cutting the right length of line from a spool and snapping the replacement in place.
The Sears Craftsman trimmer has never needed service and is now nine years old. It starts every time, even after I let it sit for two years because I was using a lawn service. Most of all, I like it because I don't have to carry it and it's light enough to push easily wherever I want to use it.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.

My trimmer is gas-free and it works great. It's called Roundup. It's a much more permanent job.
================== Much of my trimming will be around the edges of a vegetable garden. Roundup is not safe for such use.

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.

Oh brother. I guess you don't buy anything at the supermarket then.
========================== Like what (from the supermarket)?
like food.
i forgot to mention i have just looked up the msds on roundup to see if it was safe for horses. I found out the stuff is nearly non-toxic completely.

Who tested it on horses? Show your source.

if it's non toxic to a pheasant and a mouse, then it's not going to hurt a horse. duh..

Enjoy:
http://www.pesticide.org/glyphosate.pdf

thanks, now what does a 4 year old propaganda sheet from a left wing tree hugger group have to do with it?

S. Barker wrote:

Not sure if you are a gadfly or really practice what you write but I know someone who sounded exactly like you. Just throw caution to the wind and expose yourself as much as possible to everything because all precautions are total nonsense. That was until he developed liver cancer which was clearly related to some of the solvents he often exposed himself to.
You used the number 4 in your sentence. Does knowledge have an expiration date? In other words, if something is discovered today, and all scientists agree it's a valid discovery, does the discovery become invalid after a certain period of time, like the way milk goes bad?
Please define that period of time.
You said "4".
And by the way, the studies are correct. Who would need to publish the exact same data in order for you to believe it? Name one organization, agency or news source you would believe.

they used to use leeches and have 'blood lettings' at the barber shop. Do you think that "knowledge" expired?

Of course, but that knowledge was discovered to be nonsense. Let's stay focused on the real subject at hand. What would need to happen in order for you to believe research about the harmful effects of a product like Roundup?
You're a scientific guy. I'm sure you can answer the question.

I would need to see such warnings in the product MSDS. That's where the FACTS are. Even if it is a government mandated publication, they do seem to be accurate. I've been in the lawn and landscape business for 13 years and have read a lot of MSDS's. I had just never had occasion to read the roundup one until now. I was surprized to find it as safe as it is. I don't think i'll put some on my cheerios, but i do think i'll kill the hay field with it and not worry about it.