Who makes the Best Chain Saw?

Page 2 of 2

<<<<<<snip>>>>>>

took
got the

this
out on

Slacker!!!
You mean you aint got it all split and stacked yet ???
--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Split? When you can buy rip chains? :)
-- dadiOH _____________________________

This is Turtle.
Hey tell me about this Rip Chain thing ! Do you use it to split the wood ?
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Well, that is why I bought one some years ago. However, I have so *much* available wood that I burn the bigger stuff as trash; consequently, I never used it. Should work OK though...teeth are square just like any other rip blade.
Be much easier to split than saw though...with a hydraulic splitter.. No way would I do it with a sledge and wedge!
-- dadiOH _____________________________

A rip chain is a special chain used for cutting logs lengthwise. Fewer teeth and ground somewhat differently. It's almost exclusively used by people with portable chain saw mills slabbing off lumber. These are little more than a chain saw plus a bar guide.
Ie: http://www.toolcenter.com/sawmill/mill_at_work.html http://www.toolcenter.com/sawmill/mill_at_work2.html
I don't think too many people split firewood with a rip chain. Way too slow. A rental hydraulic splitter is MUCH faster.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

This is Turtle.
Hey After 2 or 3 hours with chain saw in your hand & everything you got is verberbrating and I do mean Verberbrating. I picked up a Splitter Ax and looked like a Al'key getting his first Beer in the morning. I got up during the nite and went to looking for the cord to unplug the vibrating bed that i thought I was in. And then you say start splitting that wood !
The Verberbrating TURTLE

looked
nite
thought I

Better get it split while its still green, cause oak just gets tougher as it cures.....
Splitting wood with a wedge and maul is a young mans sport--recommend rent, beg borrow or steal a hydraulic splitter.....these really do make for quick work in splitting up of the bigger chunks.
--

SVL

I think you have a winner. Not only do you have a good saw, but it seems as though you have a good dealer. Ed
wrote in message

This is Turtle.
I might have for i got to talking to some Flate Heads [ tree cutters on logging crews ] about them and they use them to keep up with the saws they use. They use the MS-310 for about 150 to 200 hours of operation and then have him rebuild the engines one time for about another 150 hours of run time and then throw it in the trash can and buy a new one. they can work off a 150 to 200 hours of run time for about 6 to 9 months of cutting logs for they only cut the limbs off the trees and then cut the logs in 20 / 40 / 60 foot lengths. The cutting of the trees is done by a Shear on a skidder that holds the tree and cuts it off and lays it down where they want it for the Flate Heads to get to it. The Shear can cut a 30" Pine tree and hold it and drive a 100 yards in the woods to get to a clearing to ,and I say , LAY IT DOWN WHERE THEY WANT IT. They can't drive around with pine trees bigger than 30" in diameter. The Shear will cut it and then throw it where they want it to fall.
These Flate heads said they use the MS-310 as a throwaway saw for price is 1/3 of a good saw and they both do the same job. The MS-310 will work about 12 to 16 months for about $350.00 and a MS-660 will run about 12 to 16 months [ no rebuilding of engine ] for a little less than a $1,000.00. The MS-660 usely will throw a rod or really burn up but the MS-310 will just loose compression and power. They also said if a saw is going to be not used for a week or more to run the gas out of it and fill it up the chain oiler , with oil.
The Flate Heads told me that I should expect about 150 hours of run time out of the MS-310 before you have to do any work on it. I told them I will be dead and gone before I see a 150 hours of run time on my saw.
Where is all the Flate Heads when you need them ? I spend a day and a half calling all the flate heads I knew and could not find one and after i buy a saw they come out of the woodworks.
OK Defination time ; Flate Head --- A tree cutter that has been in the business a good while and has been hit in the head with trees and limb so much that he has a Flate Head. He usely is Dumb , Strong, and has a Flate Head.
TURTLE
Stihl or Jonsered.
Expensive to buy and repair. Best saws made.

This is urtle.
The Stihl name kept coming up and I really don't have a ideal of what is too expencive.
I got this for $396.90 & charged it on my Dicover card and got 1% discount Total price :
MS-310 Saw with new type chain brake 18" Bar Gal. of chain oil 6 bottles of Stihl mixing oil for a gal of gas Chain sharping file with guide to keep it straight 1- Extra chain for the MS-310 1 - extra chain for my Poland 14" saw Cranked it up and set oil feed to chain on high amount of oil to the chain 8% Sales Tax added in
I'm not good at pricing things like this but it seemed pretty fair to me.
TURTLE

I say Stihl hands down
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:28:52 -0400, LARRY THE CABLE GUY

They have

forgiving for

the brand

, money,

Royce.

Echo. We use one as part of our farming and it is superb. aloha, Thunder smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
All my friends here in San Antonio (where I am currently a guest) have discussed this and recommend the Mcculloch brand, in particular the "Freddy's Special" model......;-)

have
forgiving for

brand
money,
Subject: Re: Who makes the Best Chain Saw? Date: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:03 PM
Stihl or Jonsered.
Expensive to buy and repair. Best saws made.

Turtle, sounds like you got a pretty decent deal on a pretty good saw!
Time to fire up the coonass oven!!!

This is Turtle.
You just remined me about a New Coonass Microwave oven a fellow is suppose to be building for me. It's suppose to be made out of Cypress where I can leave it out doors and not mess it up. Water does not hurt cypress wood and it even like to be wet down every once in a while for cypress will not rott being wet all the time.
TURTLE