Plumbing help

How do you seal the connection between the drain pipe under a sink and the trap? I took this apart to fix a slow draining system... with that problem solved now I have another.

The drain pipe fits into the trap and a large nut threads onto the trap. By the by, this home was built in the early seventies and this is probably original stuff.

Thanks.

Reply to
Leo

I'm fairly sure this is just a compression seal. There's a rubber gasket that gets squashed tight when you crank that nut down onto the trap. If the gasket is old and hard, it might leak.

Reply to
mark

Check the seal to be sure it isn't damaged by debris. You could replace the whole P-trap for a few dollars, if an easy solution is not found.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Put in a new gasket. Trying to re-use an old one is wasted time.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Leo,

I had the same problem under the bathroom sink of my 1974-built house. I got tired of putting duct tape over the joint (it still dripped a bit). Finally, I drove to Home Depot and bought a plastic drain pipe/trap kit for around $7.00, and replaced the whole thing.in just a few minutes. Now everything is solid and water tight. And, my wife is finally happy with me.

Scott

Leo wrote:

Reply to
Scott

Finally, I drove to

Wow! You mean THATS all it takes? All this time....I wish someone told me.

Reply to
mark

mark,

Not exactly. She was happy with me for only 30-seconds. Now, there are new issues.....

Scott

mark wrote:

Reply to
Scott