White Westinghouse electric dryer MDE546R

My daughter was trying to fix her dryer - it was making some kind of squealing noise - she took four screws out of the back, before she realized that the back doesn't come off - now, there's a loose piece - a sheet metal thing that bangs against the drum as it turns - I opened the top of the dryer and can see the loose piece, but can't figure out how to re-attach it - I'm trying to avoid taking out the drum and all - any suggestions?
All the squealing driers I've worked on, you have to take the drum out to get to the squealing idler roller. I'd suggest either go ahead and take it apart, or call an appliance guy.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
No-Name wrote in message ...

The most common cause of squealing on that design of dryer is a worn rear drum bearing and drum shaft. If not repaired in a timely fashion, the drum shaft can get cut right in half which would allow the drum to drop and frequently cause more damage when it does adding to the repair costs. Such sounds should be looked into immediately when they're first noticed to avoid further more expensive and extensive damage.
In order to replace the drum shaft and bearing (which come together in a kit - see the following link), the drum must be removed which is done by removing the dryer front panel.
Frigidaire/White Westinghouse Dryer Shaft and Bearing Kit http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc 51
Most internal repairs will require the drum to be removed to access them (at least if you're not a contortionist).
Other common areas of squealing sounds on that dryer design are worn front drum slides (which will be visible once the front panel is removed) and a worn idler (belt tensioner) pulley. Each should be inspected before putting it back together.
Do not try to just "lube" such items! Once they start to make noise, they need to be replaced.
Do the job once, and do it right!
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=White-Westinghouse+Dryer
=~~~~~~
Thanks very much! I took of the front of the dryer this evening and gave everything a good cleaning, but couldn't figure out how to get the drum out - now I know how - thanks to you!!!
The slides look OK - I'll check the idler and probably get the shaft and bearing kit and replace that as well.
Thanks again.

No-Name wrote in message ...

If the pulley is rickety at all on the shaft, it is worn and should be replaced. If not, just cleaning it up may be all that's necessary for now.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whire-Westinghouse+dryer
=~~~~~~