White stain with powdery substance on wood joist

Hi - We noticed a white powdery substance on the wood joists in our attic? Does anyone have any clue on what this could be? I'm not sure if this could be mold, a ventilation issue, or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we want to make sure everyone's safe.
On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 8:14:05 AM UTC-7, jessboettger wrote:

You need to find out what the white powder is so you can pin point the source. I would call my local health department and tell them you are worried the white powder could be a health risk and they should be able to give you some advise.
replying to jessboettger, Bobby wrote: Could be mold. May be a ventilation issue so correct both.

Was your house ever exterminated?
01001100110 posted for all of us...

I believe the OP stated he saw it in the attic, so I presume it's still standing. Don't they usually demolish homes? Take a LOT of bullets to exterminate it. Give it to the fire co for practice they will take care of it cooties and all.
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

+1