Whirlpool Washing Machine problem

My Whirlpool LA6300XPW4 washer turned itself on the other night (scared the h. out of me) and started filling the tub. I found that pulling the control in or out doesn't stop it running. If I try to manually advance the cycle to make it drain, it blows the breaker. I've had to leave it unplugged for now. I'm thinking that there's probably be a short in the control/timer unit itself which is not hard to replace. However, I'd like to be surer that it might not involve something else like a relay somewhere before buying one. This machine is old, but hasn't been heavily used and seems worth fixing if that's what it is. I'd appreciate any other ideas on this.

That is a wierd one, I don't think I've heard of that before. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe something is wet inside, or possible a wire is shorted to ground. You mentioned pulling the control knob has no effect, it could be the entire timer is defective.
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 19:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

If this is a wig wag machine (the ones with a belt) look at the wires going to the wig wag (arm that holds the 2 solenoids) they rub and short out.

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

--

Thanks. It doesn\'t appear wet and hadn\'t been used in some days. I suspect
the timer control too but wanted to be a little surer before investing in

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:g4qb2p$53r$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...