Whirlpool Washer, trap/filter cap busted

Hi...

Seems I have a while before any parts stores will be open, so I thought I'd ask on here...

We have a 5-yr-old Whirlpool Duet, front-loading washer. A couple of weeks ago, as part of spring cleaning, we washed the bath mats and a couple of them started falling apart, so today I thought I'd DIY my annual/semi-annual routine of cleaning out the filter trap. Went about as usual (or so I thought). I put the cap back in and started to load some laundry.

What I didn't notice in time was that the cap to the filter developed a stress fracture, so when the laundry started, water started running out the bottom through the crack in the cap.

After cleaning up all the water, I started looking for replacement parts... Lowes doesn't carry them, and all the Sears parts depts were closed on Sunday... I got the pdfs of the manuals and parts manuals. To my surprise the part number going with the filter cap turned out to be for the whole drain pump assembly. I called the Sears part line and the woman on there was puzzled to find the same thing. She also told me nobody would be open today.

I did some searches on-line, and the price for the whole assembly was between $75-150, which seems a bit steep for replacing a plastic cap.

So, since I've got some time, anyone have any ideas where I might get just the replacement cap instead of the whole freaking pump assembly?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
MMark

JB weld.. Epoxy. The cure all for things like this. Be sure you use thr slow 24 hour type. Much stronger than the quick type. WW

Reply to
WW

Post some model numbers, etc. I will call my parts house, and see if they can get the freaking cap separately.

Christopher A. Young Learn more about freaking

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Some cut due to aioe quotation limits.

I have found individual parts on Ebay for some things.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sorry if this posts twice; I haven't been a big usenet user since Verizon dropped NNTP support, and the Google Groups interface seems to take a long time to update. Been more than 10 minutes since I sent the reply and it's still not showing, so I'll try again.

Anyway, the washer model # is WFW9200SQA12. Online I found the Repair Parts List for the washer (W10188972). On page 9 it got down to the part I need. In the diagram, the specific part (the filter plug) is listed as #8540996, but when I've searched online it always comes up with the whole pump assembly. Did for the Sears operator too. Strictly speaking, I don't even need the filter grate; I just need the plug.

On that same page, part #W10130913 is Pump (complete) which is the whole ball of wax - pump, motor, filter, mountings, etc. That's all I've been able to find so far.

Haven't found anywhere that sells just the plug... Might have to go with the gob of epoxy afterall :)

Thanks Mark

Reply to
MMark

beautiful yarns please click on the following link

993997009

The delay mght be because you're using stupid ole google groups. It's greatr for archives (except when its broken) but spend 3 dollars a month for a news server, or use eternal-september for free.

Reply to
micky

pump assembly?

That might be the best for the prettiest repair.

There is also PC--7.also epoxy. which is thicker, less runny , can be smoothed with a wet finger tip (it tastes terrible, remember that we have 10 fingers), and if necssary can even be put on while water is dripping and will still dry waterproof!!! It also take high heat, over 150 F, maybe 400F. Sticks to glass too accordeing to the exhibit at the store, with a slightly textrured bottle, but I'm pretty sure it's true.

PC-7 is almost black, and PC-11, pretty much the same thing, is white.

Buy a set of two four-oz. cans and if you use separate utensils in each can, and close the can right, the stuff willl last for at least

10 years, probably 20. I've never had it go bad.

I would try them all on something, so I knew which was best for a given situation.

Reply to
micky

If you don't use GG how do you know it's stupid? I and others on here use it and it works just fine.

Reply to
trader4

My parts house says the same thing. The plug is only avail as part of the pump assembly.

$159.09 and four in stock.

Wish I was more help. Sorry.

.

[...]

(this might be duplicate message.) $159.09 and four in stock. My DAGS on that part number found a couple of pump assemblies, much less expensive than the "list price" I got from my parts house.

Wish I was more help. Sorry.

.

[...]

Just for the heckuvit, call Whirlpool customer service and complain about the problem and ask about the warranty. In my experience the company has been quite good about failed parts, even out of warranty. Worth a try.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

So, a quick update... Because I was using such a big gob of JB Weld, I let it dry for 2 days rather than 1... Just fired up the washer and the JB Weld did a great job fixing the stress fracture in the handle, but there's still a drip from around the seam... I don't know if the rubber gasket shrank/dried out or something but fixing the handle appears to have not won the war.

I can try Joe's suggestion and see if I can shame them into sending me a new cap :)

Mark

Reply to
MMark

I'm really not sure what you are referring to by seam. If it involves the JB weld, maybe you can scrape it off and use PC-7

Usually for glues they recommand two thinner layers than a layer that thick. Maybe that doesn't apply to epoxees, but I think it likely does.

Reply to
micky

I like Whirlpool. I dont' know if they still have the cool line, but

30 years ago tehy spend hours on the phone with me,telling me how to get the main bearing out. They were all experienced repairmen, they sadi and I thought so too. All very good, inluding the woman.
Reply to
micky

Teflon tape sounds much better than vaseline.

I have a rubber raft with a *missing* plastic screw-in plug for an air chamber., and I've been trying to decide for 9 months how to make a new one.

It's almost 2" in diameter.

Great.

Reply to
micky

replying to Joe, Delilah Wilson wrote: Hey! Having the same issue so just curious -- how'd that work out?

Reply to
Delilah Wilson