Which way to mount a rainproof electrical box?

I bought a Hoffman 14" x 16" x 6" rainproof steel electrical box to house lightning protection equipment for an amateur radio antenna tower -- no 120v AC, just RF signal cables and 12v and 24v control cables.
The box has the hinge on the long side. Is it kosher to mount it with the hinge uppermost rather than on one side? The salesperson (at a "real electrical supplier", not at HD or Lowe's) said the hinge is supposed to be at the side. But since there is a seal all the way around the inside of the door, I can't see that it matters: it's not depending on an "overhang" (which would have to be uppermost) to keep the rain out.
"Perce"
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I'd install with hinge on the side. Tony, VE6CGX
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Wouldn't it be a pita to work in the box? The cover would be gravity driven to close on you while you worked.
cheers Bob
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Don't fight water - it will win. The gasket will do a better job for a longer period of time if you keep the bulk of the water away from it by installing the box vertically as designed. If you install it horizontally you're trading off some weathertightness for the unspecified other reasons. Your equipment, your call.

seize up quicker. If I needed to mount it sideways, I'd be more inclined to mount it hinge down, so it wouldn't get in the way working on the panel. I'd also probably mount it in a 3-sided box with a small roof overhead, to keep direct rain off. Think old style drivc up pay phone enclosure. If you could score one of those at an industrial salvage yard, that would be a cool backyard or repeater site conversation item. Have you checked nearest military surplus dealer? Small weather-proof comm hardware enclosures are a very common item.
aem sends...
Percival P. Cassidy posted for all of us...

Keeping the door open would be a pain - literally.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

On 10/27/06 08:49 pm Tekkie wrote:

I did mount it with the hinge vertical, as recommended -- but in fact, since the door can open more than 180 degrees, it would have stayed open if the hinge had been horizontal and uppermost.
Perce