Which switch To Replace?

My kitchen light is controlled by two switches, one or both of which need to be replaced as they wont turn on/off the light intermittently. Is there a way to determine which switch is defective or do I have to replace them both?

You have got 2 three way switches that would set you back about 5.99 for the pair. Replace them both.
I have to agree, they aren't expensive and most likely if you do determine which if flaky and replace it the other one will soon fail.
If you really want to be cheap you could check the resistance of each switch with a meter.
Handi
On 24 Jan 2004, Dick wrote:

Won't turn on/off, or just won't turn *on* ?
If just *on*, then it's likely not be the switches, only a loose wire making an intermittent connection. There are two "traveler" wires that run between the two switches, and if one is not making contact then that path won't energize the light when called upon.
If both states apply, you might as well just replace both as has been suggested.
If one is gone, the other is likely going. Do em both up at the same time, and don't worry about the couple bucks for the other switch. What's your time worth? You going to shut down the power to the house and then need to reset all your clocks. What's a price of a switch compared to doing that all over again?
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season