Where to buy sand bags?

Page 1 of 2
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags (typical army size I guess)?
dean wrote:

http://daybag.com/industrial/sand_bags.html
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
dean wrote:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sandbags

We got ours at the local farm supply store.
dean wrote:

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.
Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage space and is reusable (canvas rots).
You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn inside-out.

Plastic from the postal service????

Yeah, I'm gonna walk up to the teller at the post office and say " May I please have 2 dozen of those used mail bags for free please" and wait for them to say " where did you hear that we have those for the taking, from some nut on the internet or something" The rest of that advice sounds good though.
If it has been raining a lot lately (are you from MA or NH by chance today) then you may be able to get a supply from your city works department with or without sand already in them. Many cities hand them out to residents during weather emergencies and sometimes in advance (so they may have them anytime). Check your city webpage for an info phone number to find out.

Or are you suggesting we use plastic (tyvek?)priority mail envelopes as sand bags?
PipeDown wrote:

Don't go to the "teller" at the counter. Go to the bulk mail acceptace unit, usually at the central post office.
The US Postal Service will provide all the mailbags you need (also stickers, labels, rubber-bands, etc.). In fact, for some mailings, mail must be placed in USPS bags before the post office will even accept it.
Mail bags come in two sizes: Full and half. Actually they come in one bag with nine more inside (wads of ten). The half size holds about a peck, full size, a little over a bushel.

The city gives out mail bags? Wow.

Oh, you want us to misuse federal property, thats different. No wonder the stamp prices keep going up.

I made sand bags from old jean pant legs--strong, easy, and fast.
Now THAT is a good idea!
But all my old jeans have holes in them!
If you have access to any old, tire inner-tubes, they work well as a makeshift sandbag. Tractor innertubes are good, though can be pretty heavy if they're too large.
First cut it in half. Using 2x4s, fold one end closed and "clamp" it between two 2x4's and screw the 2x4's together with several wood screws. Fill the tube with sand. Close the open end the same way as the other.
An averaged sized agricultural tractor tube cut in half and filled with sand can weigh over 100 lbs, so be careful, and maybe cut it into quarters instead of halves.

HD or Lowes
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Where-to-buy-sand-bags-110922-.htm NYP Burlap wrote: We supply every type of bag imaginable from burlap to polypropylene.

------------------------------------- www.nyp-corp.com Burlap, Jute, Twine, and Polypropylene for Agricultural and Industrial Use.
NYP Burlap wrote:

NEVER use burlap. The sand will trickle out of the bag. Canvas works, but better - and cheaper - are those made of some variety of plastic.

SWMBO had me line one of these crates with burlap for a tomato plant she put on our front porch.
http://www.modern50.com/files/gimgs/1319_chattolanee-crate-wood-bottle-water3.jpg
It's up there with some other plants in pots of various shapes and sizes. It actually looks pretty cool - the old wood and the rough burlap.
We'll see how it holds up...it's not like it gets moved around too much.

You do realize that you are replying to a spammer and this thread is over 4 yrs old?

hmmm...4 years old? You'd think HD or Lowes would have restocked by now.