where to buy cheap polystyrene foam board?

I've seen shutters that *MOUNT* on the inside.

Reply to
Goedjn

It's all starting to come back now. I think this window insulation thing dates back to the 1980's and my wife and I went through that phase at least 20 years ago. Looking around the house, most of my windows have pull-down, thermal window shades. Funny, that I should forgot those. They haven't been pulled down in years.

I'm trying to remember why I lost my enthusiasm years ago for super-insulating my house. I think it was because gas prices went down and the county that I happen to live in has an issue with radon gas which is a good reason not to make your house too airtight.

It looks like insulated shutters, by the way, could provide an R-value of 9.50 or more.

mgkelson

I have found that even regular heavy curtains make a significant difference. My livingroom was cold on the feet (leaky fireplace damper) and cold on the back (couch backed up against large 1 pane window.) I put a chimney balloon that I bought on Amazon in the fireplace chimney to keep the cold air from comming in that way and we bought heavy light blocking curtains for the big front window. Im not sure what the R-value is of thsoe two items but I know they only cost me $40 for the chimney balloon and $265 for the curtains and the livingroom is much more comfortable especially at night. I close the curtains when the direct sun is not comming through, but it is south facing. Im not sure my wife would go for the foamboard on the windows and firepalce idea.

Jerry

Reply to
German Jerry