Where did Harbor Freight come from?

I have 9 different Harbor Freight advertisements sitting on my desk at the moment, every one is different although many of the ads on any sheet have about 80% of the advertised specials found on the other sheets. This led me to wonder just where Harbor Freight came from. I don't recall hearing anything about the company until about 3-4 years ago, and then they suddenly seemed to be all over the place, both in advertisements and their retail stores. Anyone know actual facts about their history?
On 2/26/2012 9:57 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/about-us>
There's been a lot of discussion over the years...seems as though were some serious fallings-out within the family as well. I don't know too much and don't really care to dig it out; it's essentially same as celebrity-following--not worth the bother.
$0.02, etc., of course...
On 2/26/12 10:57 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_freight
On 2/26/2012 10:57 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Wikipedia says they started in 1968. Read all about them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Freight_Tools
HTH,
Jay

Interesting. Their site says 1977 and I would have sworn I ordered stuff from them in 73-74 -ish. I wonder if there is some legal deal or if that's a typo on their site.
Jim