Where can someone buy Outdoor phone wire

I don't think it is particularly difficult, and lots of people protect against surges. For instance large parts of Florida.

Reply to
bud--

I never had any trouble finding it. I think I bought the last batch from Radio Shack, though if you want a long run buy it from an electrical supply house. If you get twisted pair, you can run both phone and ethernet to the shop. You may not use a data line now, but it could be handy in the future, for a security web cam or just running a laptop in the shop to watch a football game or movie. :)

Reply to
Larry

You can run phone and ethernet on the same 4-conductor twisted pair cable.

Reply to
Larry

No you cannot. On a 4 PAIR cable you can. (8 conductor -Cat5.

Reply to
clare

Maybe you mean 4 pair? And wiring split pairs used to be what was done to cut corners in the past but I haven't seen anything wired new like that in a long time because it kills the ability to use GbE.

Reply to
George

com

How would split pair wiring impact the monitoring of health by the German government?

des Bundes (German: Federal Health Monitoring System)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It wouldn't. First abbreviation on your reference was:

GbE Gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3z-1998)

Note the lower case "b".

Reply to
George

o.com

Ginkgo Biloba Extrakt?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

14-18AWG stranded copper THHN/THWN or similar supported at regular = intervals will work fine.
Reply to
Guv Bob

Why do that? On a farm with straight line, unimpeded line-of-sight you could probably get a good used DECT cordless phone base for the house and a handset for the outbuilding. Lots cheaper and less work than burying or stringing cable. My Uniden TRU9480 works for at least 200' in the city and that's with scads of other RF devices around. I just bought a replacement (used) unit with 3 handsets and an answering machine base for $35. I bought it to replace a handset that went swimming and drowned. (-:

You can always buy a new one from a place that accepts returns just to make sure the signal will reach.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm on a farm, and have a landline in the house. I want to run a phone line to my workshop, which is around 270 feet. The phone company wants a fortune to run it underground. Rather than pay for this, which may not be real permanent anyhow, I decided to just run my own wire overhead. I can go from the house to a power pole, then to the peak of the garage, run it thru the inside of the garage where I can put a phone jack if desired, and finally from the rear peak of the garage to my workshop. All of this is short enough runs to go overhead without any problems, except over the driveway it needs to be high for farm machinery. The rest dont matter, and by the shed it will only be 8 feet off the ground.

However, I want to use that "official" thick coated black phone wire that the phone company uses. That thin indoor phone wire would probably not last long outdoors especially with winds whipping it around.

I cant find this stuff at any hardware stores or building supply places. Where can I buy this stuff? (I dont know if the phone company would sell it to me).....

I'm sure someone will tell me to just get a cellphone. I have one!!! I cant get decent service out here in this rural area. That's why I have a landline. I spend more time in my workshop than the house and get tired of having to walk to the house to check for messages on my answering machine.

I have run 500 feet of #14 2 conductor low voltage garden lighting wire, from a marina office to my tugboat, while the marina was being rebuilt for 2 years, with no problems for the phone. Bought the wire from the Borg about $160.00. The wire was just laid out along the shore. Not the best solution but it worked.

Waldo

Reply to
Waldo Point

Ah! What happened to you?

You do realize that in your absence Hey Bub has dreamed up new rebar attacks and new ways for the potential welfare recipients to sell their body parts while Trader Hornee continues to fantasize about a new tax system which leaves him actually receiving money, not to mention the gun nuts who are all for personal pick-up mounted rocket launchers to use against Democrats (or black hat wearers, I forget which).

Come on Bobby, let's fight the good fight!

Reply to
knuckle-dragger

Look at old photos of the phone lines in a large city where they ran eac= h phone line with a pair of wires, pole to pole. They weren't twisted. Th= en they added 'Phantom Circuits' to add more lines when there was no room l= eft on the poles to add more cross arms & insulators.

Phone wire is twisted to prevent crosstalk between phone lines in bundle= d cables like the old standard 25 pair. Not only are they twisted, but eac= h pair is twisted at a different rate.

Drop wire & single line station wire are not twisted, but Cat3 wich is u= sed for multiple home lines is twisted pairs.

Reply to
terrell.michael.a

Life.

Am I my Bubba's keeper? (-:

I'd like to but I am training to run marathons in under 3 hours . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Did you find the wire you need? I have a box of 684' aerial drop wire I would love to get out of the garage.

Reply to
ladyali814

Why are you replying to a message that was posted back in August?

Oh - right.

You experience usenet through google-gropes.

You're a dumb-ass, just like the rest of you google-gropers.

Reply to
Home Guy

Huh? Sounds like Home Guy needs to get out of the house.

Reply to
ladyali814