Where can I find a 22" by 2" replacement floor grate for a sump pump?

I'm installing a new sump pump that sits in a sump at the landing of my basement stairs. The grate's at least 20 years old, has about a one inch square pattern created out of square 1/4" steel stock. It has to be sturdy enough to stand on. I checked Home Depot, and two salesmen came up blank, but that doesn't mean they don't sell them! (-:
Any suggestions on where else to look?
TIA,
-- Bobby G.

try a local steel supplier, they sell grates and can make you one. if you have the old grate a local welding shop can farricate you one
<stuff snipped>

Thanks - I'll probably have to go that route if I can't find something "off the rack." Just because a steel grate was there doesn't mean it can't be replaced with more modern material. There certainly is no need for a 1" grid metal grate (it's backed with wire mesh to keep debris out) because that would allow about 100,000gph <g> into the sump whereas there's only a 1.5" outflow. Anything that would keep people and debris from falling in but not water.
Thanks
On Sat, 31 May 2008 14:53:45 -0400, "Robert Green"

Frankly, I don't think these have it, but they do sell small quantities:
http://www.metals4u.com / http://www.metalsdepot.com/ http://brassandtool.com/Metals.html
I was looking for a chain of metal stores for small consumers someone told me about in Texas. There's one in Dallas, but none in Maryland. Maybe 50 nationwide so far. Can't remember the name. Didn't have time to go there, don't know what they have, but it's nice that it's not mail order, but right in front of you.

sturdy
blank,
I'll check the local search on Google . . .
-- Bobby G.
On Sat, 31 May 2008 14:53:45 -0400, "Robert Green"

Or why not just clean up this one? Use a wire brush for each hole to get the loose stuff out. Then wire brush the two faces with a bench grinder brush. Those two surfaces will look like new when youre done, and the rest may look great too.
Twenty years is not much.

mm wrote:

POR-15 might help, too.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If he/she/it knows where to find a new floor grate!
-- Bobby G.

sturdy
Cracks and serious corrosion demand replacement, I'm afraid.
-- Bobby G.