Where can I buy this ODD SIZE PVC?

Page 1 of 2
I have two small pieces of 2-1/2" SCHEDULE 20 that I found, but I need several longer pieces for a non-plumbing project. I want to make some pneumatic beer-can launchers (for aerial shooting practice). 2-1/2" schedule 20 is an ideal slip fit for a standard beer can.
The local Home Depot and Lowe's both say it doesn't exist until I show them my sample, but still can't get any for me. The samples I have are dark gray in color.
I've been looking for several years, off and on, and have never found a plumbing store that had this stuff.
thanks,
Martin
try an electrical supply house grey pipe is for wires not liquids.......except beer!
message

Grey in color? It is probably electrical conduit..
"Remove SPAM From Address to Reply" wrote in message ...

need
some
show
found

Not necessarilly, as I have several lengths of grey Schedule 80 PVC. About 1 1.4 inch OD, more or less, IIRC.

The gray color makes me think it might be electrical conduit.
On 3 May 2004 13:10:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Remove SPAM From Address to Reply) wrote:

Can you put some sort of stuffing around the beer can to make up the tight fit? The idea is from the sub caliber munitions used in tank cannons.

A beer can sabot!
(Remove SPAM

Could do that, and use larger (more available) pipe, but saboting is an undesirable trouble I'd rather avoid.
thanks,
Martin

DO NOT USE PVC FOR THIS!!!
PVC has a very nasty habit of fragmenting under shock-loads. If you must, at least wrap it with wire, so that if it does fracture, the bits can't get into people. HDPE is better, as it doesn't do this.

What about ABS? I've become a fan of ABS since doing my own DWV plumbing.
Cheers, Wayne

I don't know. I do know that the pyrotechnics guys make mortars for launching shells out of HDPE, as it fails benignly, tending to bulge or tear, rather than fly into little shards that embed themselves in flesh. (steel tubes are also common, as are cardboard, for one-time use)
Wayne Whitney wrote:

Pnuematics aren't really th same kind of shock that an explosive would be, but I'd still wrap the thing in burlap or hardware cloth... spiral wire isn't all THAT good at containing fragments..

I was meaning spiral wrap, similar to what was done with early cannon. Basically a close wrap of wire, not a loose spiral.

ABS is probably _worse_ (more brittle) than PVC in this respect. There's very little pressurized use of ABS. The only one I can think of is Hypertek rocket motor reloads, but that's single-use, and wall thickness starts out at thicker than sched 160, hopefully the motor stops before it gets to sched 20 ;-) [+]
I'd prefer HDPE or schedule 40 or 80 PVC. But I don't think he can find anything with that ID in sched 40 or 80.
[+] Fuel grain is custom-molded ABS "pipe-like-thingie" with a nozzle on the business end. ABS because it's easy to get molded, and works better as fuel than PVC. HDPE is even better for that...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

At this point, we're not certain it's PVC. Actually, it may not be, owing to the coloration. When I find the off-the-shelf material that matches what I have, then I'll know.
thanks,
Martin
message

it is called "pb" pipe it is a light pvc used for underground electric lines, try a electrical supply house.
Look at how the FAA makes the pneumatic chicken cannon and the pneumatic turkey cannons. They use them to qualify aircraft windshields. You might find some good alternatives that are safer.
RB
Remove SPAM From Address to Reply wrote:

The really dark grey is schedule 80 pipe. Light grey is electrical.
Check with a commercial plumbing house. If they do not carry it, they should know who does in your area.
Might look here: http://www.otool.com/untitled3.htm
wrote in message

I need

make some

2-1/2"
I show

have
found

And Schedule 80 is THICK walled. Real thick.

Remove SPAM From Address to Reply wrote:

Try looking here: http://www.snapmarkers.com/plumb_conversion_table.shtml Apparently, its also known as irrigation pipe:
"PVC Pipe Schedule 20 (a/k/a IPS and Thin Wall) Pipe Outside Diameters have as of January 2001 been verified as consistent with those industry standard dimensions also specified in ASTM D 2241 - 00. The PVC pipe referred to in this Table is poly(vinyl chloride) PVC pipe for use in the distribution of pressurized liquids only, and is typically used in irrigation systems."
Hope that helps.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /