When to replace water heater?

Page 3 of 3
If your water is average in terms of hardness, then every 14-16 years id replace the water heater. Once it starts banging when firing (indicating that it has a load of sediment in the bottom )...its time to replace it --- normally, its at about 12-16 years before this takes place to the point where its banging alot, and loudly. Once you install a new water heater, drain 5 gallons out every month, under pressure by hooking up a hose to the drain valve. This will 'theoretically' extend its life.
tivo-guy wrote:

Ok, popular concensus is that gas water heaters last 10-14 years whereas electrics last 20-40 years.
Why the difference? (I thought tank life was primarily determined by anode condition)
Is there any difference between natural gas and lp gas tank life? (Lp having lower btu rating, therefore cooler heating)
Bob S.
This $200 rebate, to qualify, do they say who you have to get the next one through? I feel an inflated installation charge/unit price coming. I imagine they will restrict you to buying a gas unit over electric so what other rules are in there?
If you can go to Sears/Lowes/HD and get a new one installed for $400 or less, and still get the rebate, then that might not be a bad deal.
Mines 26 years old and on its 3rd set of elements(electric). I drain it every two years and check the elements. Have you been draining it to remove any sediment build-up?

Well, the rebate period was over at years end. I didn't opt to replace my 10yr old heater but the $200 rebate deal was that you could buy a heater anywhere and get a qualified plumber to install it. A freiend of mine went for this replacing his 14yr old heater per the rebate program. He got the heater at Home Depot and had them install it for $200 including the now required expansion tank.