What wiring codes say about these wires?

Page 1 of 3

I forgot to mention, here are the pictures of the wires, I suspect Red0V and black=Ground, white=Neutral? What the other one for? I have auto-ranging digital multimeter that can do AC measurements. I should just measure across Red & Black to see what I get?
http://www.geocities.com/corvette_2050/connector1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/corvette_2050/connector2.JPG
I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be careful, where gloves etc. Thx

wow....i am unsure if you are qualified to perform this job...wearing gloves does not protect you from shock, or burning your garage down. please seek qualified help. I dont want to see anyone getting hurt and this operation would not be very expensive for a qualified electrician to do.
Joseph wrote:

Sorry, but you need to know a lot more than it appears you know to do that job. We have no way of knowing what those wires are from your description.
Note: you need more than just some wires that will give you 120V, but you need wires that are on a circuit that can handle the additional load you might be adding. I suggest a pro for his job.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
|I need to tap some electrical in an underground garage where my car | is. There are no wall outlet whatsoever and sometimes I need to plug | in some hand tools. Anyway, I found this box hanging off the low | ceiling, I opened and saw thew 5 wires, 4 wiht shield and 1 just | barecopper(ground). Can someone in the know please tell me which of | these wires I can splice into to get teh equivalent household voltage | of 120V, I plan to add a wall socket to it. I promise I will be | careful, where gloves etc. Thx |
get a tester and see if anything is live if so...........................call electrician.
You don't necessarily have a 120 volt feed in the box, even though you probably have live wires. There are a number of possibilities, that could cause problems if you tap into these wires, or do so incorrectly. Find someone with some experience, and can determine what you have in the box. If you do have a 120 volt "feed", installing a GFCI outlet is an easy enough thing to do

Joseph wrote:

You've hit a surveillance camera feed.

It is hard to tell from here, but if the cable is shielded, it sounds like you have some low voltage stuff. Maybe for a phone, doorbell, or security. This wire is usually so small that you can bend it with your finger. You will not be able to use it for power.

By shielded the OP means jacketed. Plastic encased as opposed to bare copper.

You are right I was able to bend it and it takes on teh new shape where you have bent it. Unlike the flexible type that just spring back to the old shape.

Joseph wrote:

The only wires you can deal with here are the pink and the orange/purple/yellow striped wires. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE OTHERS!
Twist the pink and the striped wires into a figure eight coupler and then lead off of that for your outlet.
REMEMBER NOT TO TOUCH ANY WIRES OF ANY OTHER COLORS!
If any of these instructions are confusing, then I would suggest a professional electrician as this can be quite dangerous for those with feeble electrical skills or minds.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I am not sure what you meant by "the pink" (I think you mean RED?). Also what did you mean by "the orange/purple/yellow striped wires". I am adding another picture with the wires labelled A,B,C,D can you point out which one you are referring to.
http://www.geocities.com/corvette_2050/connector3.jpg

I thought you gave up on this.
A to C B to C D to C Should all give you 120V A to C could be 190V this would be the hi leg.
A to B B to D D to A will all give you either 240V or 208V
If you do get something similar to these readings, you could use B to C or D to C for a 120V outlet. You can use A to C if it is not 190V.
Is there lighting? If incandescent, just get a screw-in adapter. If fluorescent, open up the fixture and check on the ballast that it's 120 volts. Turn off the light at the circuit breaker and then add your wires.
Joseph wrote:

This is an underground garage. Which means it is probably in an apartment building or condo development. These are not your wires to touch, they belong to the building. They could be for anything such as lighting, etc. They probably are at the NEC limit for capacity. You cannot just start adding outlets and plugging in tools. Your description is so poor, some words misspelt so bad that I don't know what you are saying. Your knowledge of wiring seems to be as bad as your spelling. Leave well enough alone. Don't touch anything. You'll live longer.

Isn't it funhy? Use to be, hand tools were the tools one couldn't plug in.

Call an electrician before you kill yourself.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

Probably none. Household AC does not have shielded wire. Get a pro to do this, it sounds like you don't know how to do it.
Joseph,
As others have said, it sounds like your knowledge level might be inadequate for the task at hand.
Your meter will probably show you 220V between red and black. Each of them is probably 110V. Black is NOT ground in utility wiring - it is in automotive DC (perhaps explains your confusion). White should be neutral, red should be 110 and black should be 110. The bare copper is ground. This sounds like commercial wiring - NOT Romex. BE CAREFUL, it may be 3 phase with a high leg for lighting, you will destroy whatever you hook to it. Tapping into an existing circuit without having any idea what it is feeding, where it is coming from, and how it is being used is NOT smart. If you are dealing with a receptacle or lighting circuit that is not critical or serving a designated circuit, the idea will probably work. You really need to know the FROM and the TO, before you proceed.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .