What use is WiFi on a Costco Viso TV?

Page 5 of 5
On 9/3/2015 7:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

How did DIRECTV know that you had a new TV? Or, is this just a coincidence?
On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 9:55:14 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Don Y: Good Question as we didn't have a smart TV before--just a 30 year old tube type. So apparently the new TV sent a signal "home" reporting that it couldn't spy on us. Not a coincidence.
On 9/4/2015 12:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Did their notice claim you *must* connect to the internet (as a condition of your service)? Or, were they just enticing you to ADD to your service (based on something they observed re: your TV)? I.e., if you can continue to get "content" and are willing to live without the bells and whistles, can you *decline* their "offer"/suggestion?
On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 19:40:40 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

don't care about Netflix and the other features, I'm electing to skip the "smart" features for now.
I have Dish and I did not get anything from them for my TV. I just use the HDMI input for the cable box and the WiFi on the TV sees my router. I was good to go.
On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:40:40 -0700, Ameri-Clean wrote:

The output from the Direct TV is a coax cable, right? How does that coax cable connect to your router?
alt.home.repair:

It doesn't. The TV network connection is via the common wireless or ethernet cable.
On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 15:52:39 -0400, Nil wrote:

So, help me here.
Let's say the DirectTV dish is on the roof, and it has a coax cable that goes down the side of the house, through a wall, to a wall plate.
From that wall plate, how does "it" (i.e., the tv signal) get on my "network"?
You said the tv signal gets into the network via either the wireless connection or through the wired ethernet (cat5) cable.
But, how does that coax cable tv signal get to either one of those (i.e., how does the coax connect to the wifi or the ethernet cable)?
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 10:48:15 PM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. The signal from the sat dish goes directly to the DirectTV receiver. The TV is connected via HDMI or component video to that receiever. That's one source of content that then can be selected for TV viewing. The receiver also has an Ethernet or wifi network connection which can be used to access additional streaming content off the internet as an additional video source.

He didn't say that.

It doesn't. See the above.
That's how it connects for one TV. There are options that use a wireless bridge to connect more than one TV, but that's a further complication. The above is the basic setup.
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 3:20:20 PM UTC-4, Ewald Böhm wrote:

See my other reply where you asked this. AFAIK, DirectTV doesn't use coax to connect to the TV, not in recent times anyway. They use HDMI and then any streaming video from the net uses a wireless or direct Ethernet connection to the DTV receiver.