What type of socket wrench should I get?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:10:52 -0500, jeff_wisnia

Sounds like you found a solution! It's only bothered me a couple times. Well, maybe a couple hundred. What happened is one of my boys took up car/truck wrenching. I didn't really care about him taking my tools, because he more than made up for that by wrenching our cars better than I could. He's paid back in work much more than the couple hundred bucks of hand tools to put in his toolboxes. I never complained to him - much. Now that he's "established" and probably has 2 of everything, I bought a new big wrench set for myself. But I hardly ever use it! I'm slowly adding other tools. I still miss some of my "disappeared" tools though, that battery wrench being one. Not I've needed it, but I just know I don't have it. Probably miss my good pliers and channel locks more. Some of those tools I bought 40 years ago when I was a packaging machine mechanic, and my hands had grown to fit them. Seems they were better quality than you can find now too. Some anyway, like the pliers and a spring-loaded screwholder I had.
--Vic

Yeah, it's amazing how some tools disappear only to show up 20 years later in your kid's toolbox when they are working on your stuff to help you out,

It does seem some tools were beter years ago. I have a couple of Chraftsman ratchets that seem much beter than the ones made now.
Vic Smith wrote the following:

My wife steals mine. even though I bought her her own tool kit and tool box. I have, or should I say had, 3 tape measures that I can't find. I would lock my toolbox, but then, she might lock her box. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Uhmmm..... jes what, exactly, is a dogbone socket? I figured since the guy had no clue about SAE and metric, he was talking out his ass about the dogbone thing.
OK ....wait.... DOH! Sears make's 'em. Looks like gimmicky junk I wouldn't waste my time, let alone money, on. Nevermind.
nb
notbob wrote the following:

Funny, you agreed with me earlier on the dogbone wrenches at Sears. What happened since then?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I incorrectly assumed the OP was jes confused about the term "dogbone" and meant regular sockets and I was providing info on them. I had no idea there was actually a real tool by that name and that anyone would actually buy such a useless implement, let alone produce one. <shrug>
nb

It's definitely a girlie wrench.

Why not ask service managers at the nearest Chev or Ford dealers?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

*If he is currently working on cars, he most likely has a collection of tools that he needs already. I suggest a gift card to a tool store or maybe Sears so he can pick out exactly what he wants. Those all-in-one tools have limited use.
John Grabowski wrote:

I second the gift card even better give him the cash and tell him to buy what he wants wherever he wants. Christmas is way to commercialized.
On 12/23/2010 1:19 PM, John Grabowski wrote:

Agree, just good marketing "look, this one wrench does everything and if you call in the next 10 minutes..." but in reality it is a limited value tool.

As others have said, he probably won't even use those dogbones. You really can't buy somebody tools unless you know what they already have. I second the gift card recommendation. Sears. I got $150 of that last year and I was in heaven. Always tools there you want but don't have because you just didn't want to spend the money. With that gift card you don't have any choice but to buy tools. Like I said - heaven.
--Vic