What to look for in an open utility trailor

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow

1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

Reply to
Leonardo

Years ago I had a 74 c-10,,3 on the tree and a 400ci motor from a caprice,,that old girl would really rip! A friend borrowed it to run to town,,came back with the speedometer broken and wanting to buy the motor for His 4x4.. "What qualities",,sturdy,lightweight with centered wheels to balance tounge weight of course..Wires should be in some sort of conduit and easily accessed for future replacement..Easily seen tail/ turn lights..A cargo light(add on?)might be nice..When I say "lightweight" it should'nt bounce erratically when empty at h-way speed tho,,not that lightweight! A compartment for spare tire,jack,tie-downs and basic tools is a good option..stow away ramps are last but not least,,or a flip-up single ramp like on a snowmobile trailer for loading riding mowers n such.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

I still keep my trusty '70 Chev C30, I only use it a couple of times a year and spend more on insurance ($100) than gas and tags combined, but it's still cheaper than buying a trailer of decent capacity. I have to haul 4' x 8' sheets, and occsionally gravel, etc. Uses no gas just sitting there ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Big wheels and tires, Quality hitch, tilt bed or loading ramp(s), metal floor.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I'm debating the same situation with my wife. No not to trade my wife for a trailer!. I inherited a 98 Toyota Tacoma with 5,000 miles on it. My stepdad only used it for plowing.

Its nice to have but its just sitting in my driveway 99% of the time.

I want to sell it and buy a trailer for those occasional trips for plywood, etc.... My wife wants to keep it as a spare vehicle..

If it was not worth so much I'd keep it but its like having $10,000 or so sitting in the driveway....

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Well steve,,sell the Tacoma to Me for 1/2 that $10,000 and it wo'nt seem like such a waste!! Dean

messagenews:u8qdnf9fmJQQQyDYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net...

Reply to
Dean

It might be on Standby. That would use some power, like a cordless phone.

:)

Reply to
mm

Thanks all

Reply to
Leonardo

See if these guys have a rep in your area.

the utility trailers are partway down the flatdeck page. Go to
for their home page. these are well built trailers with sealed wiring systems, box frames, brakes if you want, etc. etc.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

My first requirement is regular size wheels with regular wheel bearings. My second is a real floor.

Reply to
DK

Reply to
Dave Herron

Thanks.

Going over 4X8 is worth considering.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

And about twice as expensive and problems attaching aluminum to steel. Corrosion will run rampant. Not worth the benefits in 99% of cases.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Dave Herron