What to look for in an open utility trailor

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow 1500 lbs.
What features should I look for in a quality trailer?
Thanks!
Lenny

Years ago I had a 74 c-10,,3 on the tree and a 400ci motor from a caprice,,that old girl would really rip! A friend borrowed it to run to town,,came back with the speedometer broken and wanting to buy the motor for His 4x4.. "What qualities",,sturdy,lightweight with centered wheels to balance tounge weight of course..Wires should be in some sort of conduit and easily accessed for future replacement..Easily seen tail/ turn lights..A cargo light(add on?)might be nice..When I say "lightweight" it should'nt bounce erratically when empty at h-way speed tho,,not that lightweight! A compartment for spare tire,jack,tie-downs and basic tools is a good option..stow away ramps are last but not least,,or a flip-up single ramp like on a snowmobile trailer for loading riding mowers n such.. Dean

I still keep my trusty '70 Chev C30, I only use it a couple of times a year and spend more on insurance ($100) than gas and tags combined, but it's still cheaper than buying a trailer of decent capacity. I have to haul 4' x 8' sheets, and occsionally gravel, etc. Uses no gas just sitting there ;)

It might be on Standby. That would use some power, like a cordless phone.
:)

Big wheels and tires, Quality hitch, tilt bed or loading ramp(s), metal floor.
Eric in North TX wrote:

Thanks all
I'm debating the same situation with my wife. No not to trade my wife for a trailer!. I inherited a 98 Toyota Tacoma with 5,000 miles on it. My stepdad only used it for plowing.
Its nice to have but its just sitting in my driveway 99% of the time.
I want to sell it and buy a trailer for those occasional trips for plywood, etc.... My wife wants to keep it as a spare vehicle..
If it was not worth so much I'd keep it but its like having $10,000 or so sitting in the driveway....
Steve

On Jan 29, 9:54 am, "comcastss news groups"

Well steve,,sell the Tacoma to Me for 1/2 that $10,000 and it wo'nt seem like such a waste!! Dean

message
See if these guys have a rep in your area. http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers.cfm#Flatdecks the utility trailers are partway down the flatdeck page. Go to www.pjtrailers.com for their home page. these are well built trailers with sealed wiring systems, box frames, brakes if you want, etc. etc.
steve

My first requirement is regular size wheels with regular wheel bearings. My second is a real floor.
Aluminum - about 300 lbs lighter. Go 4.5 x 8+ min size, easier to load full sheets. I bought one like this a few years back. Easy to move manually. Takes just a couple of minutes to hitch and you on the road. When your moving dirt, etc, it's a lot more convenient because you can roll a wheel barrel right up into the trailer. I'd have a trailer even if I owned a pickup.

Dave Herron wrote:

Thanks.
Going over 4X8 is worth considering.
L.

And about twice as expensive and problems attaching aluminum to steel. Corrosion will run rampant. Not worth the benefits in 99% of cases.
--
Steve Barker

"Dave Herron" < snipped-for-privacy@boisetools.com> wrote in message
Had my alum trailer for 4 years now. Store it outdoors and have had no corrosion issues.