What to do with a 100' tower?

Page 1 of 4

I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it seems very well built and there is no rust through the galvanized tubing. It's 100' tall in 5 20' sections with three cables at 3 places around the tower, total of 9 cables. A view from the top would look like a triangle, each side about 3' and it appears to be the same size from the top to the bottom.
I did just find a fairly close sign company with a 120' crane, but today is sunday so I can't call. I don't know what the tower would cost, maybe someone would take it for free if they take it down? Maybe it's worth more?
If it gets expensive I think I could topple the thing one direction where it is far from any buildings or trees. It actually looks easy using the cables but that also sounds like a story for the Darwin awards.
Any suggestions appreciated. I thought of renting out antenna space but I figure it would already be done if anyone was interested.
Looking for suggestions of things to ask or research that I may not think of. I guess i could leave 20 or 40 feet there and put a TV antenna on it!

if its well enough built a wind generator.
although toppling it and selling for scrap might be better if no one will buy it......
steel scrap is going for about 10 bucks per hundred.

If your local paper has free adds you may put it in that for free. Maybe some ham radio operators would take it down if given to them.

Craiglist!! Or check the local ARRL hamfest groups, you could make a ham so happy

Maybe they'd pay a little something to get the rights to stick a 2M repeater on it.
On 07/18/10 03:17 pm, Ralph Mowery wrote:

<snip>
www.eham.net has classified ads.
"Perce"

First thing, try to sell it. craigslist, ebay, whatever. It's free money. If no one will buy it, consider it, like you say, for your own TV antenna. If not, just drop it, and sell the steel.
Steve

Can they convert this tower into a Billboard (location, location) location?

Do it with no wind blowing. Do you know how much a 100' tower sways at the top.

Oren wrote:

No, only the next door neighbors would see it.
Tony wrote:

Put a wind turbine generator on the top and call yourself "green". Place your TV antenna a bit further down the tower. Place a netcam or two up near the top of the tower for some nice views.
Also, it should not cost very much to have the tower inspected by a tower service company in your area to ensure it is in good condition and the guys are properly tensioned.

Why no put a tv antenna on top of the full 100 feet. Talk about great reception.....
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Liability. Right now if it could possibly fall, it could land on a nice house next door.
Tony wrote:

That's the key word here, indeed. If the surrounding property is now zoned for residential and there are houses within the radius it could hit your insurance agent will definitely have an interest in rates for that potential you'll need to consider.
One would, as you've alluded to, presume if there were any interest in the site for either continuing satellite or other usage it is highly unlikely a usable tower wouldn't be in use. I'd certainly want to find out whether there's even any possibility of it being used for that purpose; I'd suspect probably the reason it isn't being used now is that zoning regulations have changed that forced them to go elsewhere and that it wouldn't be allowed for cell or other use having once been abandoned. And, of course, even if it were potentially allowed, then you would be in a commercial venture and have that level of liability as opposed to simply a homeowner.
I'd think it could easily cost as much or more to re-rig the support guys for a shorter height as it would to dismantle it entirely and I'd also expect there to be no commercial demand for it or somebody would have already taken it. It's one of those things where the overhead in taking it down and moving it and re-erecting it elsewhere would be far more than new construction in very high likelihood.
Unless the land had real other value and can be got for much less than the removal cost or there is some other reason the particular site has other value I'd surely be thinking twice't and more and probably pass on this nuisance. It surely needs some expert research at a minimum on local conditions regarding the limitations in future use either personal or commercial and what, if any, maintenance obligations come with it that the current owner must pass on or are statutory by various jurisdictions. I've no clue, just cautionary. Unless I were certain I was going to have it removed, I'd want a current engineering evaluation of condition, not just a look-see of my own as can imagine such would be required for liability coverage as well as simply wanting to know didn't overlook something.
All in all sounds like trouble _I_ don't need... :)
dpb wrote:

First off, if it's an existing structure, it is grandfathered into any zoning changes.
The fact that it's not currently in use means little. Based on what is mentioned about it's prior use, it was likely a CARS band relay site for a cable system which has simply been obsoleted by a fiber optic upgrade of the cable system. A cable system I used to work for had two such leased sites, and retired both when they did a full system rebuild / upgrade which replaced the old CARS band microwave links with fiber.
The fact that some other use has not been made of the tower could relate to numerous things, such as the expiration of the lease for the site, the property owner not investigating a new lease with a different company, location, and cellular operators already having adequate tower space in the area. 100' is also pretty low for cell towers.
As for the possibility of the tower falling down, that is pretty unlikely unless the tower has been out of service and maintenance for a *long* time. The cost to have the tower inspected by a qualified tower company is not that much and they can give an accurate report on any issues, and what future maintenance might be needed. Also guyed towers *do not* simply fall over unless they are deliberately sabotaged. If a guyed tower fails for some reason, they will fall within an area about 30% of the tower's height, which means for a 100' tower, it would not fall more than 30' or so from it's base. The tower manufacturer's engineers can provide documentation of this, and have done so for at least one person I know of.
You might investigate leasing tower space to an Internet MDS company if they are common in the area. They provide Internet service to consumers via short haul microwave links and often locate their antennas on water towers and similar lower structures. A lease agreement could provide for annual tower maintenance and free Internet service. You would also still be able to put up a wind generator, etc. if you wanted.

Maybe. maybe not. Depending on how the law reads, change use can kill off the grandfather. Say, if this one was put up pre-zoning (or was an appropriate use at the time) for Ham radio or TV. But they want to change it to something like a cell tower, that might not be gf. Also might depend on when the law was changed. If the original use had already been abandoned by the time the law took effect, then it would not necessarily still be available. The folks in Marathon, Fl, for instance are battling this. There was a structure that had housed a strip joint. It had closed about 18 months before a law was passed putting adult entertainment in a new zoning category. The owner of the building wants to restart the strip joint as grandfathered and Marathon says you were closed at the time of the zoning change and it isn't a continuing use. So far, Marathon is ahead on points in the courts (grin).
and name it after the IRS.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Precisely, can't tell but one would certainly want to know for sure for the specific site/municipality...
Again, it's nuts to not ask or explore all contingencies _before_ it becomes a legally binding responsibility regardless of whether one thinks any one particular item might be a remote occurrence. There's not enough info in the posting to do anything specific; I simply made some conjectures of at least a few possibilities I could foresee.
In short here's a definite case of caveat emptor...
On 7/18/2010 1:18 PM, Tony wrote:

When I was younger, I could climb the darn things and would have loved to have owned an elevated piece of property with such a tower. I could have so much fun hanging antennas on something like that for all of my mad scientist RF experiments.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You still can relive your younger days! Come on, you know you want it.
On 7/19/2010 8:29 AM, Tony wrote:

Nope, too many health problems, too much pain.
TDD
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 03:41:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas

You'll put your eye out.