I'm thinking of buying a lathe

Does anybody have a Jet Model JWL-1236 lathe? All comments would be greatly appreciated. Amazon has them on sale for 1/2 price and no shipping charges. Thanks.

Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar. =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar. øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Hi Sir Edgar,

I have this lathe. Well it's not a Jet one but exactly the same model (MC-900 clone) as this one with another brand badged onto it. It is a very good budget-priced lathe that will do just about all common woodturning tasks. The only real problem with it, is that the base it sits on is pressed metal and not very robust. If you have any piece of wood with a bit of weight to it spinning on the lathe, the base will 'shake, rattle and roll' a little. This is easily remedied however, by making a base board underneath and loading something heavy onto it to give it that needed weight on the base. A bag of sand does wonders :)

Hope that helps!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Woodworking Techniques & Projects

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Woody

BTW. Although Amazon is often cheaper, Everything is half-price. When I bought my DW733 planner for $349 they listed it as being retailed at almost $700.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

Hi, Sir Edgar,

Talk to our colleagues over at rec.crafts.woodturning.

Cheers

Frank

Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar. øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Reply to
Frank McVey

Reply to
Sprog

I've been using the 1236 for about 4 years. For a starter lathe, it decent.

It's good for spindle work (turning table legs, etc.), and small bowls using balanced stock. For larger, unbalanced work, the minimum 500-600 RPM is too fast and the supplied stand is lacking.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

I have a clone of this lathe. It is fine except I wish it had reverse!

Leslie

Peace to all ~ Sir Edgar. øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Reply to
Leslie Gossett

Can you just stand on the other side?

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

My thanks to one and all who replied to my post about buying a Jet -

1236 lathe. Each one contained a lot of good information. Knowing myself, I will order one from Amazon before the day is over. I'll worry later about how I am going to pay for it! Incidently, I have been a woodworker for about 50 years and, with all the machinery I have, I have never done any lathe work. I figure that since I am 79 years old it is about time that I gave it a try.