What to do with a 100' tower?

Guyed towers *do not* fall over in one piece. Short of deliberate sabotage, a guyed tower will fall within about 30% of it's height. The tower manufacturer's engineers can provide certified documentation of this for you to show anyone interested, such as your insurance company.

Reply to
Pete C.

If the tower bas is fenced and gated as I'm sure it is if it was a commercial site, you *are not* on the hook for their trespassing, breaking and entering, and subsequent injury.

Reply to
Pete C.

20' sections are common for heavy duty commercial grade towers. These towers are designed to last many decades and to carry significant wind loads such a 10' diameter microwave dishes, panel reflectors, etc. This tower probably has a face width of 24" or better and continuous fall protection anchor point for climbing it. The light duty towers you are familiar with are in a different class.
Reply to
Pete C.

Don't bet on it.

Reply to
salty

I've seen some fairly heavy-duty looking Rohn non-freestanding in 10 foot sections. Obviously 20 footers would indicate commercial grade designed for commercial heights. You wouldn't want 30 sections of tower for 300 feet. That's inherently poor in strength.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Especially in today's litigious society.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Maybe. maybe not. Depending on how the law reads, change use can kill off the grandfather. Say, if this one was put up pre-zoning (or was an appropriate use at the time) for Ham radio or TV. But they want to change it to something like a cell tower, that might not be gf. Also might depend on when the law was changed. If the original use had already been abandoned by the time the law took effect, then it would not necessarily still be available. The folks in Marathon, Fl, for instance are battling this. There was a structure that had housed a strip joint. It had closed about 18 months before a law was passed putting adult entertainment in a new zoning category. The owner of the building wants to restart the strip joint as grandfathered and Marathon says you were closed at the time of the zoning change and it isn't a continuing use. So far, Marathon is ahead on points in the courts (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Take another drink and reread about the tower. This is not your average ham or small Rohn tower. The legs are about 3 feet apart. It may be the 65 or

80 series and not the 25 series. They have 20 feet long sections.

Whatever was on it must have been some big wind load . A tower with 3 feet legs and guyed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Since when have facts and statistics factored into an insurance premium estimate, or public opinion?

All the morons will see is, "100' tower, anything within 100' is a potential target." It doesn't matter how much paper you wave in front of them.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It's not a TV tower. This is commercial duty. How wide are the sides of yours? I took a quick peek at Rohns. I saw little towers. The sides of theirs is an equilateral triangle are 12.5 inches. The tower I'm talking about is an equilateral triangle *3 feet* on each side. I could almost fit 9 of those little towers in the same footprint of mine.

Reply to
Tony

Precisely, can't tell but one would certainly want to know for sure for the specific site/municipality...

Again, it's nuts to not ask or explore all contingencies _before_ it becomes a legally binding responsibility regardless of whether one thinks any one particular item might be a remote occurrence. There's not enough info in the posting to do anything specific; I simply made some conjectures of at least a few possibilities I could foresee.

In short here's a definite case of caveat emptor...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes now you are close! The *face width* is 3', like I said in my original post.

Reply to
Tony

Well one can only guess without an initial description.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Jeff The Drunk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@BoozersandLoozers.only:

Yea, like the dumb-ass McD's woman who toasted her beaver with coffee.

Reply to
Red Green

No need to insult me, asswipe. I don't drink either. Didn't read the 3 foot leg description.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Sorry I'm guilty of not reading that far. That tower aint going anywhere.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

All might want to check at "alt.ham radio" under 100 foot tower. There is a great picture of the tower and shack and fence etc. Sure looks like a pretty nice "former ham shack" to me!!

Sorry bout the top post

Sparky 01

Reply to
sparky01

Correction: that's alt..ham-radio

Sparky01

Reply to
sparky01

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

"Skin" the metal frame and make it a tourist attraction.Bigger is better.

Red Green

You seem to claim to be a boozer. So, build a beer joint under it and call it "The Jumpin' Off Place"

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster