what to do.....

Got some serious chuck holes in my asphalt driveway, and it's going to be a year or so before I can have 'em permanently fixed.
In the meantime, I'd like to put some kind of temp fix in.
I know there is asphalt cold patch material available at Lowes, Home Despot, etc.
The question is whether or not I need to fill in the holes with dirt or gravel prior to putting the patch material on. Or, do I just get enough patch material to act as filler?
RB wrote:

Follow the instructions on the bag. It will tell you want to do depending on the depth of the hole. Don't use dirt.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math