What sort of outlet pressure can a sump-pump generate?

I've been looking around for a cheap pump that can I can use to move water around from various 55-gallon rain-water collection drums. I'd also like the pump to be able to develop some decent pressure to push water to at least a single sprinkler head.
Spending more than $100 sort-of defeats the purpose of collecting rain water to begin with, so something like a convertable jet-pump (minimum $250 around here) is out of the question.
There are some 1/6 to 1/3 hp sump pumps that I can get for $50 to $75, but I'd have to modify them so I can attach an inlet hose (most of my drums are sealed with only a 2" opening at the top so the sump-pump can't be dropped down into the drum).
So - can a sump pump be modified to be able to draw water from an inlet line - or will priming it be a bitch? And can then generate enough pressure (what - 20 to 40 psi?) to drive water through a 50-foot garden hose and a single sprinker head?
On 4/1/2012 8:48 PM, Home Guy wrote:

When on sale, it is about $80. I was thinking of getting it to pump water from my running stream to connect to the house for water when there is a power failure using my generator. My regular water comes from a community well which is not close enough to power from my house. The only reason I haven't done it is because it is not a priority as we rarely have long power outages. Actually during the one 10 hour outage (tree fell on the line feeding my area), I never ran out of water. As there are only 3 houses on that well, with pretty low usage, the piping going up to the well, maybe 75 feet up the mountain, acted like a storage tank.

I second the suggestion to use a passive system. I use a length of soaker hose to slowly drain the tank. You may need to poke a little hole in the hose at various watering points since there isn't any real pressure, but it works well and is the green thing to do. :)
Molly Brown wrote:

No, because a sprinkler head I can move around beats the time and effort and perceived coverage efficiency and water-delivery-rate of a hose with a bunch of holes punched through it.
Also, I need to move the rain water from the point where it's collected to the area where I want to keep the 1/2 dozen or so drums. Need a pump to do that because it's up hill.
DD_BobK wrote:

I see that the flood-gates have opened and all the trapped google-posts are flooding back to usenet-proper.
Welcome back.

How many different designs are there for your typical fractional-hp sump pump?

Easy - to do what? Add a hose connection to the inlet of a sump pump?

So in other words, you don't know what static pressure a $50 or $75 1/3 to 1/6 hp sump pump can generate, and you've never modified a sump pump to give it a hose inlet so you don't know how much head they could draw.........
DD_BobK wrote:

Can a sump pump be used to drive a single residential sprinkler head through 50-ft of 3/4" garden hose.
Stop pretending that you've answered that question. It makes you look silly.
On Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 8:48:26 PM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:

If you have an air compressor attach it to your water storage drums or r ain barrels with a tube that goes to the bottom of the rain barrel and a air fitting that connects to your air compresser hose . The air compressor will give you t he pressure you need to drive the water out of the barrel and up and o ut the water tube hanging in the barrel connected to the sprinkler head . Might need a compressor with a air storage tank ? Again as with water pumps it depends on the capacity of the air pump . And the air pump could be used for lots of other projects.