What's with GE?

Page 3 of 3

GE is capable of making a good product, (although the engines are not as good as the one Pratt makes here in CT) but they chose a different market for consumer goods. Not everyone wants or can afford the top of the line. GE chose to make a higher volume lower priced unit to target a different audience than the higher priced brands. It falls on the consumer to educate themselves and make decisions based on what they learn.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

educate
Pratt was the major supplier of commercial and Military engines--there must be a reason why they lost so much of both markets (I believe GE now has approx 70% commercial, 90% Military). What about the foreign market too? Could it be because they just couldn't keep up and compete? I recall they had a lot of stall problems along with keeping compressor discs from breaking up--do you remember sitting in a commercial aircraft (I do)--per FAA requirements--having to run the engines up to full power and hold for a bit, back to Idle and then to full power--before being allowed to take off. A quick test to make sure the discs wouldn't fail on Take-Off. Used to wonder how many passengers knew what was going on. MLD
Add pictures here
βœ–

Obviously you are so taken in with the fancy wording that you don't know what it means in every day use. Yes, it strives for "perfection" but what does that translate to? Perfection may mean we have that bearing that is designed to wear out in 1000 hours wear out consistently in 1000 hours instead of using the good bearings that may last 500,000 hours but cost 5’ more.
Six Sigma means we use that specified painted steel instead of stainless steel or porcelain coated steel even though we know it will rust through in four years, but it is perfectly coated when installed.
Six Sigma means that if we design crap, it will be perfect crap. It has little to do with longevity, ease of use, lower sound, energy efficiency, ergonomic design, pleasing esthetics, or any of the other factors that differentiate a quality appliance from a cheapo. Cheapos just don't last as long by design even if built under six sigma conntrols.
Add pictures here
βœ–

So what? If the specifications call for a poor material, you are assured of getting that poor material all the time. Big deal, There are many forms of "quality" programs and process controls that conform with Six Sigma , ISO9000 etc. that really mean very little to the end user.
All these things do is assure that if we decide to make crap, it will consistent crap that meets the specifications for that particular form of crap. Yes, the specifications call for bolts made of press shredded newspaper and that is what is used. Not steel like the rest of the world. But since we comply to the written standard we are good.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:11:02 GMT, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: What's

Roll-over potential is an important criteria at CR. If there is a chance that your fridge will roll-over while the house is being washed away in a flood or hurricane, they down grade it.

βœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

While I would gladly buy and older Maytag, I would avoid their current stuff. They have had far too many problems and it appears it is a corporate change with their buyout.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
βœ–
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
βœ–
GE dos not back up their products.
We purchased a GE refrigerator and the compressor went out after 6 months, GE replaced it and 6 months later the compressor failed again. The rep said the evaporation coils may also have been contaminated because of the compressor failure. We called customer service in Colorado and they told us they would replace the refrigerator but deduct 250.00 for depreciation.(the refrigerator cost $1000.00 new and they said it should last for 5 years, that's how they derived at $250.00). I argued that refrigerators last for years, but they didn't budge. To add insult to injury they required $75.00 for disposal. This was GEs fault and they should have replaced the unit at no cost. Even the technician that was there said, "that's not right." We wound up paying 325.00 total.
GE screwed us, I won't even buy a GE light bulb now, they are bastards. Ron

Add pictures here
βœ–