What's with GE?

After reading some of the above content regarding GE, I'm reconsidering buying this line. (there was mention of a GE dishwasher having valve problems, and a GE frig recall fiasco........maybe something I missed besides this)

I'm rehabbing the kitchen and was planning to do replace the appliances with the GE Profile line. This makes me wonder...... Any opinions about the Profile, or about GE in general ?? I'm hearing scary things here so far. The amazing thing is Consumer Reports wasn't as harsh.

Thanks. Les

Reply to
les

I had a $400 GE microwave that pooped out twice in a year, where the computer fried itself. It also had a broken handle, even though there was no locking latch (you simply pulled the door open...no button to push). I still can't believe this thing died so fast. I've had a Panasonic microwave that traveled with me from Germany, to Oklahoma, to California, and is still chugging along after being given to my mother, 15 years after I bought it. The GE microwave was installed above the stove, while the Panasonic's been shoved back and forth more than Paris Hilton's panties. There's just no excuse for the GE unit giving up the ghost like that.

Other than extremely cheap Christmas lights (on sale December 27), I have bought my last GE product, including all the rebranded stuff.

I've had very good luck with Kenmore, and Sears did a fantastic installation job on my washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, and central A/C. The washer and dryer were a real pain, and they came out twice just to get it the way I wanted (issue with the way the doors opened). I did have to do some bitching about the microwave installation, as the guy that came out didn't see the need for a duct going from the microwave to the ceiling (there was already a duct from the ceiling to the roof), but eventually he did it.

I was told their water softeners were junk, but I have no experience with them.

Consumer Reports doesn't test in a real world environment, and they don't test that long. It's much like Popular Science with their long term test cars. Sorry, but 15k miles isn't long term.

Anyway, I'd recommend to anybody to stay away from GE. I'm not so sure about Maytag anymore, and Panasonic doesn't make all the gear a kitchen needs. I do like Bosch. They have some very elegant appliances, and a good reputation. The wife wanted Kenmore, so there ya go, but I haven't had a problem yet.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

this is Turtle.

I work on appliances like these but have slowed down on the number for the last

15 years. I will not get into a pick and flick the brands around but will say this.

window units ; i would Buy Whirlpool , Roper , and Friedrick .

Kitchen Appliances : i would Buy Whirlpool, Roper, Victor, and SubZero.

Everything else is trash !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
C & M

This is Turtle.

G/E , Frigidaire, Maytag, Fedders, Most Kenmore, and all the low end stuff is all one company now days.

Whirlpool, Roper , Friedrick , Subzero, and Victor is about all that is left in the higher end stuff.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is turtle.

frigidaire did bought Maytag , but I'm not sure if they bought Amana also.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

CR often calls mediocre appliances a good value. Never could figure out why. I've not subscribed for years now and they seem very biased in what is and is not important in ratings.

IMO, you get the best appliances with brands like KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Maytag.

You get sometimes good looks, but lesser reliability with GE, Frigidaire, and other low end stuff.

Kenmore is a crap shoot unless you know who the maker is.

As always, there will be an exception where someone has one of the "best" brands and got a lemon, someone else bought a cheapie 30 years ago and it still works fine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Roll-over potential is an important criteria at CR. If there is a chance that your fridge will roll-over while the house is being washed away in a flood or hurricane, they down grade it.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Kenmore can be Frigidaire or Whirlpool, maybe others.

Whirlpool, Roper, KitchenAid, Insinkerator. Estate are all one.

Frigidaire makes every low end brand. Hotpoint, Philco, some Kenmore, Gibson, Westinghouse, White, and a few others.

Maytag and Amana are together, but I forget who else may be part of that.

GE, RCA, Thompson Electronics are one.

I think Fedders is still independent and a big competitor of Frigidaire in ACs. Fedders does make some AC under the Maytag and Comfort Air labels.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

purchased a new GE washing machine and dryer couple yrs ago. Not happy with it at all. The dryer does not seem to heat up like it should. The washing machines' 2nd (optional rinse) does nothing but fill up and empty. What I mean is the tub fills but no agitation for the 2nd rinse. If I had the cash would get rid of them and get something different.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

While I would gladly buy and older Maytag, I would avoid their current stuff. They have had far too many problems and it appears it is a corporate change with their buyout.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

MLD wrote: ....

Compliance to a shoddy spec simply ensures that item produced is equally shoddy.

I've (sadly) also come to the conclusion that most GE appliances have succumbed to the cost-cutting pressures and aren't what they used to be

30-40 (or even 20) years ago.
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

OMG, that would be terrible. According to the Maytag web page, they are doing well as an independent company.

They own Amana, Hoover, Admiral, JennAir, Magic Chef.

You may be confused because of Hoover. Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux of Sweden.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

No , The Owners of these companys are not company that produce something but Holding LLC companys which are nothing but investor company which cut and combine resources to put together a company that just plainly makes money. They have no thought of quality but just selling equipment anyway they can at a good price.

now some big company that produce something does own other companys but leave the name alone and show no ownership in their company write up.

Exxon-Moble owns controlling interest in Ramada Inn and International Paper Company. Go to their website and find where Exxon-Moble is spoke about at all and find no words of them. Exxon-Moble has Holding companys that buy companys to hold as having ownership without the public knowing about it.

maytag has been up for sale for about 2 years and the holding company of Frigidaire are after Maytag. I would have frigidaire should have gotten them by now by way of the Holding companys.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'm totally familiar w/ 6-sigma--worked at/wiith it for years as engineer in product development for a well-known (in its niche field) manufacturer of industrial equipment.

The point is, if the specification is for a lesser quality product, all

6-sigma does is ensure that it is specification that is met. The "defects" addressed by QC are those of the manufacturing process, those of design. There are two definitions of "quality"--the statistical/QC definition isn't the same as the consumer one. One can build a Yugo to 6-sigma but it won't be a Lexus when it's done--that's the point I'm making.
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

This is Turtle.

The Six Flags calculator will probley work good in getting problems fixed for the first year or two, but what the problem most have with this stuff is they expect it last longer than 5 years when the warranty runs out buy a new one. G/E says 5 to 8 years is a long life for refrigerators and I say it should be 20 years like it was years ago with quality built in the equipment and not profit margin build into the equipment.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Maytag sees talks with Haier ending next week

ATLANTA: Appliance maker Maytag Corp., which has set an August shareholder vote on a $14-a-share buyout, has said that it expects to complete discussions with a second potential bidding group that includes Chinese appliance maker Haier Group next week

Reply to
Spud

Rich wrote: ....

It ensures every one of them will be obsolescent in the target time +/- a (very) short time, but the warranty period on major components w/ a very high probability. In many designs, a significant if not the primary goal of the six-sigma process is to control warranty costs.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

....both wrote of long-lasting (in this case Panasonic) items...

We still are using the first regrigerator my folks bought when we first got power in 1948. It is, coincidentally, a GE, purchased by Dad as Mom's Christmas in 1948. It has had one door seal and a couple of other minor repairs since and has run continuously since it was first plugged in. Doubt there's much chance of the new one we put in upstairs two years ago will last anything close to 20 years, what more approach 60...

The really disappointing thing wrt to new applicances is that this old gal isn't totally unique. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

entails---no more

The number of defect as measured when? On an assembly line? What about 6 months later, or make it really unreasonble 5 years later.

The refrigirator I posted about in another thread, but referenced here, was made by GE for Sears. It's 12 years old and I may be able to fix the cooling problem. But let me add, the plastic (way too thin) shelf supports are broken and Sears will sell you one for $12 or so, last I checked. Replace all those clearly underdesigned components and you're half way into a new applience.

What does six sigma have to do with this design for quick absolecence?

BTW, the supports are so designed, that short of sculpting one from steel, there's no way to strenghten them in any way. That's what I call crap. Agree with Turtle.

Rich

Reply to
Rich