What's up with this group?

LOL, that's the truth. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

All of this was addressed about two weeks or so ago, sometimes heatedly (no pun intended.)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Reply to
kayle

. Well now. For FREE advice you expect instant answers from experts! Also, for example; your original post appeared to me just after 2.00 AM on the 25th. It is now about 3.00 PM on the 26th. I was busy yesterday, and due to a bad cold/sore throat I didn't feel like trolling through the several news groups that I normally follow. In addition while I might feel competent to try fixing my own gas furnace, if we had one, (being all-electric here) I would not feel competent to give advice. So no apologies from here. If anyone has these appliances that involve combustion, chimneys, gaseous or liquid fuels it is best to become knowledgeable about at least analyzing the likely cause of certain problems. The fact that your furnace (What was it? Wouldn't relight) might be the safest situation possible until you call a competent repairer. You do have one lined up for ongoing maintenance and repairs we presume?

Reply to
terry

Reply to
kayle

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, your problem, your unit, or what to do. Shall I post anyway?

Lots here do in exactly that situation.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A good many of us are recovering from Google Groups shock, the new interface makes it so hard to read and post. Perhaps they are all over at the google groups group complaining.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

It's all good. I got a bit of a spanking for being impatient, but I did get some excellent info! Thank you, anyway!

Reply to
kayle

Yeah, it's a strange and busy group. Sometimes I get no responses or an answer like "Google it." Then I post a question thinking I'd get no responses, and get a dozen or so. Best to wait 48 hours though.

Reply to
Phisherman

Eric,

I'm curious of why you post through Google, is it because your ISP doesn't carry NG's?

Maybe I'm simple minded, but using a newsreader is so much easier to follow threads, or for posting.

Reply to
Moe

Many, perhaps most, ISPs no longer have newsfeeds, or if they do, they do not particularly advertise that fact to their new clients. Web sites and blogs and such have made Usenet a dying world (other than the p*rn groups, of course.) I'd bet most Google Groups users think Google owns and runs the newsgroups, sorta like a gigantic BBS.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

My ISP is Qwest. Before when it was USWest I had Outlook Express, I think. As my ISP&#39;s kept changing fairly often, and I was using so many other computers away from home, I found a Yahoo account to be easiest. When I was searching for furnace info I Googled it and this list came up. And, you&#39;re right, I did think Google ran it, or I should say, I hadn&#39;t even thought about it until your comment. Since this is my first experience with a group list, I have no grounds for comparison like Eric apparently does. Sad to say but I&#39;m not even sure how to access this group except through Google. Kayle

Reply to
kayle

Kayle,

You may want to look into this, it tell you how to configure OE or Netscape for newsgroups.

I like using OE for a newsreader, I have Thunderbird also, but am used to OE and really like it, except for a couple flaws.

Reply to
Moe

Try "the wall" for pros or try althvac for a hacks and a headache

Reply to
m Ransley

Laziness I guess, I have Verizon, and they have a news server, but it is hell to get it to hook up the first time. once initiated, it works. The previous interface was great, instant access, since Google personalized is my home page, just click more and groups and it when right back to where I was, great stuff. They have since gone to a bubble gum interface, much more ad friendly than read / post friendly. I use T-bird for Email, I may try that.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

news server, but it

In my case, I use Google Groups by choice. I have OE and another excellent reader. I prefer Google as it is _simple_. I don&#39;t need, and wouldn&#39;t use, all the bells and whistles that ocme with a real reader.

I, too, hated the new google when it showed up the other day. I am getting used to it and exept for the clunky posting (that will probably be fixed) and that 1/3 of a page to the right that contains nothing that needs to be there 100% of the time it isn&#39;t any worse than the old one. Restricting the text portion to only 1/3 of the page was stupid. Of course one can keep closing and opening message tree but that is a nuisance.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I can pretty well ignore the bubble gum, adblock takes care of the ads, but have you opened a post with fewer than 3 replies? They end up in a tiny scroll box at the top of that 1/3 page leaving the rest of the real estate blank as you scroll through the message trying to make sense of it. Laziness may keep me in GG as most newsreaders while more versatile, require much more interaction. I am open to suggestion however.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Replying to my own post? I just tried that and apparently that has been addressed. Now if they will just add the older / newer buttons to the bottom of a thread view, it will nearly be usable.

Reply to
Eric in North TX