what's it called?

The track for sliding glass doors, like the locking doors on the back of a jewelry store display case. I am looking for a double track, one that will allow two panes of plexiglass to slide past each other. I tried google, but I get all kinds of stuff not related to what I want.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Solenoid?

A plunger is on the end of a solenoid. The solenoid is the "motor" that activates the "plunger".

That's what they do for doorbell chimes ding-dong!!!
On 4/7/2013 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:

Nail guns... :)

A fastly instantly air pressure actuator?

There are pneumatic cylinders that will do that. Start here http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-air-cylinders/=m84511

Steve-
The small air cylinders that Ed suggested will probably do the job for you. I would suggest a "spring return" type; air powered to extend, air power off, spring return.
You won't need muhc stroke... maybe 1/2" max? You'll probably want to limit the travel so you don't completely mash the nuts. And probably wind making some sort of nut holding fixture.
You'll have to do some playing around to determine how much force you need so you can pick a cylinder bore size.
Rod size will be small (like 1/2" or less) you'll need to put some sort of "tool" on end of the rod.
check these out for concepts
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Duke-Pecan-Cracker?gclid=CIvRkJrGurY CFQThQgod4mgARg http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Kinetic-Kracker (Amazon.com product link shortened)
oops!
forgot to hit send last night.
cheers Bob

Air powered linear actuator ? You can control it with electric air valve. They go both directions. Problem is with vibration in some precision applications. Some have a brake. Much faster than most other actuaries. I helped make one used on a medical imager.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Air-Actuators-Cylinders-/78187/i.html?_nkw=linear+actuator
Greg
'Steve B[_13_ Wrote: > ;3042987']I need an actuator, but one that is air powered preferably. > Instead of the

> pressure

I think it's called a pneumatic cylinder. The more air pressure you have and the less force it has to overcome by moving, the faster it will move.
Perhaps if you tell us what you're wanting it for, we can think of a better solution.
--
nestork

Check these out
https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=air&keyword SA

air inlet is small. You can't get high speed actuation without high pressure. The nail gun has the accumulator built into the piston system with a huge port between the accumulator and the huge cylinder. You can get high volume for fast actuation plus a lot of force with less air pressure. Gives you a lot finer control.
If I were gonna crack a nut, I'd make a hard rubber platform slightly thinner than the nut. Drill a hole in it to guide the nut. Then play whack-a-mole with a rubber hammer. Crack your nutz and reduce tension at the same time.

Based on these...
I don't think he needs high speed
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Duke-Pecan-Cracker?gclid=CIvRkJrGurY CFQThQgod4mgARg http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/Kinetic-Kracker (Amazon.com product link shortened)
cheers Bob

Souinds like you are describing an a "pneumatic cylinder" Same as a hydraulic one except run by air pressure.
Harry K

I think you might be thinking of an "intertia" nutcracker. I've never used one, but I understand they work pretty well on pecans.
http://tinyurl.com/66zwabj
Since they are powered by a rubber band, should be pretty easy/cheap to make yer own.
nb
On 4/7/13 6:37 PM, Steve B wrote:

look at their hydraulic stuff. Hydraulics normally operate at 2000 psi. That could give you a little more speed. Maybe a hydraulic cylinder operated on air would be useful. They also have power packs.
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:40:29 -0500, Dean Hoffman

He is cracking pecans, not crushing diamonds. A fairly small air cylinder operating at a fairly low pressure with a bit of mass would do it .