What's best for rental appt flooring in flood zone

I've an up/down duplex in a hurricane flood zone (barrier island in FL). I live up and rent the down (long term rental, not seasonal). I've not had a flood yet, but I've come close during tropical storms and the recent hurricane Charley gave me a scare. The downstairs appartment is carpet over concrete slab in the living room and bedrooms, ceramic tile in the kitchen and bath. It's time to replace the carpet (after hurricane season).

If I were living downstairs I'd prefer tile throughout, but that's just personal preference, and the current tenant says she would be okay with that. On the other hand, other landlords in the area have told me that carpet is better because, a) people prefer carpet and that the appartment will be more difficult to rent if it is all tile, and b) after a flood you just rip up the carpet and replace so it is brand new again, with insurance you have to pay for in any case.

I will appreciate input from any of you, but of course especially those who have landlord experience.

Chuck

Reply to
chuck h

a flood won't affect tile in the least.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Chuck wrote:>I've an up/down duplex in a hurricane flood zone (barrier island in FL). I

Here in sunny AZ, we're going with tile through-out. Don't care if that spooks off any number of potential tenants. They can put down an area rug. Your situation is a bit different, with all the humidity and stuff, but I see tile in your future as well. Bugs will have no place to hide, either! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

You might want to check with your insurance company and see what they recommend.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Speaking as a DYI homeowner and Landlord for over 25 years, I never use carpet if there is any other option. I will spend more to refinish, repair or replace a hardwood floor than a carpet would cost because it lasts 10 times longer.

Every renter wants carpet and most don't even own a decent vacuum. And based on experience they don't use them even if they own them. I can mop or even scrub a floor far cheaper than I can clean or replace a carpet.

In your case and location on a slab I would use a nice neutral ceramic tile (or maybe a couple of compatible different ones) throughout the unit. When showing I would mention this allows them the bring area rugs of their style and colors to personalize the place. You were only thinking of them when you did it this way! :))

As for the insurance comment, the more claims you file the higher your cost or un-insurability factor becomes.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Tile seems to be the trend these days. Tile is ideal in a rental situation as it is much more durable than carpet and it doesnt hide crud and retain smells. Just pick a neutral color that will match anybodys decor and won't go out of fashion in a few years.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I vote for tile (ceramic) as well. But get a tile that has the same color throughout. Tiny chips and scratches won't be noticable.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Rip off the carpeting and paint the concrete. It's easy to clean, and when you get 3 or 4 feet of mud in there, you can shovel it right off the concrete and just repaint again. Be sure to use an oil based floor paint made for floors.

Reply to
evolie