I don't know who said that Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid, but
that's not true. If it were, Coca Cola would taste acidic all of the
time, but it doesn't. In fact, it's easy to remove the acidic "bite"
from the taste of Coca Cola.
Coca Cola (and all carbonated soft drinks) contain an acid called
"carbonic acid". They don't actually put carbonic acid in soft drinks.
They only put CO2 into the soft drink and the CO2 dissolves in the soft
drink and combines with H2O to form carbonic acid: CO2 + H2O CH2O3, which is carbonic acid.
Carbonic acid is an inherently unstable molecule and breaks down to form
CO2 and H2O fairly quickly, but as long as there's lots of CO2 dissolved
in water, carbonic acid will form as quickly as it breaks down, and that
water will remain acidic cuz of the carbonic acid in it.
It's the formation of carbonic acid from the CO2 dissolved in the water
that gives Coca Cola (and all carbonated soft drinks, and beer, and all
carbonated (aka: "sparkling") wines their acidic "bite" when you taste
them). To prove that, just leave any carbonated soft drink sitting in a
glass over night to let all the CO2 come out of it. Then when you taste
it, it'll just taste sweet like sugar water and not have any "bite" in
it's taste at all. If there were acid in the soft drink to begin with
it, that acid wouldn't evaporate, and it would still taste acidic, like
vinegar left out in a glass over night.
It's the carbonic acid you swallow breaking down to form CO2 (gas) and
H2O in your stomach that makes you burp after drinking soft drinks, beer
or sparkling wine.
I kinda doubt that the amount of carbonic acid in a soft drink like Coke
would be sufficiently strong to dissolve rust, so I'd stick with
phosphoric acid which does work.
When you start with a false statement, nothing that follows is worth
Bit here on the topic. Used as food/colas additive and as a rust
Apparently there are different sorts.
Another good reason not to drink Coca Cola.
Naval jelly and Coke are the same thing.
I have no idea how much phosphorus there is in Coke, but phosphorus and
phsphoric acid are not the same thing just like carbon and carbon
dioxide are not the same thing. And, of course, a ml of water weighs
very close to one gram, so in approximately 100 grams of Coca-Cola,
there are 18 milligrams of phosphorus, or about eighteen one thousandths
of one percent, which is a TRACE amount, hardly the primary ingredient.
No, the active ingredients in Coke are sugar and caffeine. If
phosphoric acid was the active ingredient in Coke, people who like
drinking Coke would enjoy drinking phosphoric acid toilet bowl cleaner
diluted with water.
Think with your own head... that's why God saw fit to give you a head.
Leave a glass of Coke and some phosphoric acid toilet bowl cleaner
sitting over night and taste the Coke in the morning. I won't taste
acidic at all. So, where did the phosphoric acid go to? The phosphoric
acid toilet bowl cleaner will still taste the same and behave exactly
the same in every respect as it did before.
The acidic "bite" in the taste of all soft drinks, beer, sparkling wines
and soda water is due to carbonic acid. That acidity in the taste
disappears as the CO2 dissipates from the beverage. That's why soft
drinks go "flat" if left open too long.
Phosphoric acid toilet bowl cleaner doesn't get weaker if left out
Bullchit. Naval jelly contains significant amounts of phosphoric acid.
Coke does not.
> What a stupid statement. Phosphoric acid is put there for a reason. It
> enhances the flavor.
'snopes.com: Coca-Cola Acids' (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp )
The 2 to 3 tenths of 1 percent phosphoric acid quoted in that Snopes web
page is what's in the syrup, not in the soft drink.
Assuming a mix ratio of 5:1, one gallon of syrup will make 6 gallons of
'How many glasses of soda does a 5 gallon bag in a box syrup yield if
each glass is 16oz? - Yahoo! Answers'
That results in a concentration of phosphoric acid in the soft drink of
about 5 one hundredths of one percent.
Coca Cola can hardly be used as a substitute for phosphoric acid because
it supposedly "contains phosphoric acid".
Nearly all cheap soft drinks contain phosphoric acid because it is a
cheap substitute for citric acid.
Phosphoric acid can be manufactured cheaply to put in junk products
like Coca Cola.
I infer you drink/feed your kids on a lot of this shit.
You need to give up and have a proper diet.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.