What's a good automatic pasta maker that can be bought in America

I've had the manual Imperia pasta maker - which works ok - but it's manual. On the other hand, the Ronco automatic pasta maker was a tremendious disappointment because it broke almost every time I used it.
That was ten years ago.
Any recommendations for good automatic household pasta makers available in the USA? (price range below $250 USD)
--- Posted via
On 11/12/2011 7:22 PM, Fred James wrote:

You might consider getting a motor for your Imperia.
You can get a pasta extruder and accessories that fit on the power takeoff of a Kitchen Aide mixer. Same as the hand crank, but no cranking.
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:59:41 -0800 (PST), deadgoose wrote:

I should have mentioned that the Kitchen Aide mixer takes up too much space for the MIXING (which is the easy part of the job) for a kitchen appliance.
So it's out of the picture from the get go only because of its design.
The Trebs Comfortcook looked good; but it was 220 volts (from the Netherlands).
The Italian Lello 2730 3000 seems reasonable after reading the reviews. It's loud, and it is slow, and it isn't autoamtic by all accounts though.
I'm still researching the various two types: a) Supposedly automatic (mixes, augers, extrudes) b) Manual (with motors) (only seems to extrude)

Yes, you should have.

I see you have become a fan and have an anal fixation. You'd not be calling me asshole unless you wanted to kiss it. Is your boyfriend the jealous type?
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:59:41 -0800 (PST), deadgoose

KitchenAid has two models available. One is a roller type that works very well. Similar to the Atlas machine, it makes wide sheets or cuts them to narrow like linguini or fettuccini.
They have an extruder model, but I've never used it or seen it other than at a web site. KA makes generally good products though.
Look for a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond and buy it there.

I love my KA mixer-- and the grinder, shredder, and food mill attachments. I've used the extruder twice. Then I bought a hand cranked pasta press [the roller type] at a garage sale for $10.
Now I use that and make great pasta with a minimum of fuss. There might be a use for the KA extruder someday-- but there is no comparison between the type of pasta you make with an extruder or a roller.

Or catch a [frequent] sale on Amazon. [and I'd buy a used or refurbed 'pro' model instead of the low end KA]
Jim
On 11/12/2011 10:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have the KitchenAid extruder, but haven't used it since I bought a pasta roller. I much prefer the results from the roller.

On 11/13/2011 7:33 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

Depends how automatic you want. If you already have a cuisinart food processor such as the DLC-7, you can get the DLC-054 pasta attachment. First you make the dough pellets in the food processor bowl, using the blunt plastic dough blade that comes standard with the DLC-7. Then remove the bowl, slip the pasta maker over the motor shaft, and feed the dough pellets into the tray at the top of the pasta maker. There are about 6 different extrusion discs that come with the pasta maker that select which the pasta variety you make. The mechanism is analogous to a screw drive meat grinder, but designed for pasta. It's not fully automatic, but the added cost of the attachment is not much and it is easy to use.
On 11/13/2011 11:21 AM, Peter wrote:

I bought a motor for my pasta roller, and stopped using my extruder.

I would be interested in any recommendations even with a higher price point.