What rope to use outside?

I used 1/2" cotton clothesline for an outdoor project, but even with no special molds or anything, since it's under stress, I think it will break in 2 or 3 years.

So I want to get some better rope. What do I need?. 1/8" nylon rope will break. And I think 1/4" will also.?? Is it hard to tie a good knot in 1/2" nylon? They have 15 feet for 16$ (at home depot it's in store only, for some reason) , so what about the knot. Is it a good idea to keep the knot from coming apart by heating it with a match until it forms one blob?

They also have Everbiltt 3/8 in. x 50 ft Twisted Nylon and Polyester Rope. $16 Easier to make a knot? Strong enough?

Other materials?

Details. I have an arbor vitae tree that got bogged down by snow a couple years ago. It had several sub-trunks. IIRC one got bent down so bad I had to cut it off, , one got bent down so much it broke this year, one bent 10 or 20^ from vertical and remains there, and one was about 30^ from vertical, until a couple months ago. Actually I had tied 3 of the trunks back together a couple in the spring after this happened, using green wire covered in vinyl, some of which broke.

2 or 3 weeks ago the one leaning 30^ drooped some more, over the sidewalk, so that it brushed my head as I walked in. Then a few days later, it drooped more so that I had to duck. I left a sign on the front door for the mailman to object if he wanted to.

I've been stalling around about doing something, but yesterday it drooped so much I couldn't bend down enough to get underneath. Had to walk around. So today I tied some clothes line, 1/2" cotten clothes line to the drooping trunk, went around the main trunk and pulled up the drooping one. I couldn't get it all the way up on my own, and even if I get my neighbor to push while I pull the rope, since it's been drooping for a couple years, I'm dubious. The straighter it is, the less strain is put on the rope. But since I can't get it straight, I think the cotton rope will break in about 2 years.

Reply to
micky

Nylon will last a real long time, even in the sun. Learn to tie real knots and they will stay tied. You can tie a bowline in nylon rope, drag stuff around behind your truck for years and you can still untie it when you want to.

Reply to
gfretwell

Manila hemp. Polypropelene. The only value to the latter is that it floats; beyond that, it is junk.

Beyond strength, the most useful characteristic of nylon is that it stretches. Dacron - polyester - doesn't.

1/4" of whatever is plenty strong enough.

Melt or serve nylon/dacron ends but not knots. Knots won't come apart if you use the right knot.

Reply to
dadiOH

A bunch cut.

You don't have to use just a single line. Some pictures here of a rope block and tackle. My dad had a rope fence stretcher that worked like these.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Can you post some pictures of the actual tree, specifically the problem area? It sounds as if you might need to bite the bullet and prune the damaged sub trunk. You might be able to save it by cutting it much shorter to reduce it's weight and then tie it in position so it can heal.

Is this the variety of tree you are dealing with?

Stormin' Norman

BTDT. What I learned from experience:

  1. If the shrub/tree is in an area where the rope will be seen, consider using camo-colored rope. If the branch/trunk if very long/very heavy, consider using steel cable, securing it with bolts through the trunk (if large enough) or a turnbuckle (which will allow you to adjust the tension).

  1. The branches and trunks will grow faster than you think, so don't tie the rope to the branch/trunk. To prevent abrasion from when the tree/shrub moves in the wind, cut a piece of old hose and slip it over the rope to cushion the rope against the wood.

  2. Rope alone of any kind won't hold up for more than a few years, especially if the branches are under the stress of wind and/or snow. Brace the longer/heavier sections with wood props, then reinforce them with rope or cable ties. I use treated 4 x 4s for my props. I cut a broad but shallow notch at the top end for the branch to rest in. Depending on the location and soil type, I either dig a shallow hole in the ground for the base of the prop, or I place it on a rough-textured paver or cement block. Get another person or two to help, put a rope around the branch/trunk and haul it into the desired position, then brace it with a prop or two. Relax the rope and tie it off.

My globe arborvitae were planted when I was six years old, so they are huge now. Thing is, they're the privacy block between my back neighbor and myself, and neither of us want to see them go just yet. Eventually they'll have to be removed, and I'll replace them with a section of fence, with new upright arborvitae in front of the fence.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan