concrete garage floor sank a bit... can it be filled?

Grade level garage with multiple (roughly) eight foot wide, 15 foot long, slabs.

The one the car parks on has gone concave over the years, so about a half inch of water collects near the doors, etc.

Anyone have experience with just laying, say, a three inch bed over it and grade it to the outdoors? Or do we have to chop the whole thing up?

Looking for any pointers and experience.

Thanks

Reply to
danny burstein

The instructions for Quikrete Concrete Resurfacer include numbers for up to 3/8?. Maybe it can be applied thicker, you'd have to check with them.

We used this product to resurface my badly worn garage floor and it has hel d up fairly well over about 6 years. However, we do not park in the garage. There are videos at t he Quikrete site of entire driveway being resurfaced with this product.

My main issue is the difference in color between batches. We tried to be co nsistent with the mixture of each 5 gallon bucket, but you can definitely see differences thr oughout the garage. The thickness of application affected the color also. There are various sha des of grey and I wouldn't want my whole driveway looking like that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering why you're talking about a 3" pour to solve what is apparently a 1/2" problem? And whatever you do will ultimately depend on how stable what's there is. If it's not done moving, then it will continue, but even if it does, it may alleviate the problem for many years.

Reply to
trader_4

Depending on size of depression and cost, you might consider what is referred to as "mudjacking". Holes are drilled in the area to inject concrete or foam to raise the slab.

See

Retired

Thanks.

My mention of 3 inches was simply a WAG as I'm looking for a thickness that wouldn't disintegrate when we drove the car over it.

If a simple half inch in the center that tapers off as it gets a couple feet out would work, that would be fine, too.

Thanks

Reply to
danny burstein

They sell a latex leveling compound. You need to clean the concrete with an acid to remove all the dirt and oils, then hose away all the crud. Get rid of any ponding water. Then apply this compound as directed. I used this in a small amount years ago, and it held up on a driveway. I dont recall the brand name or anything like that. See what they sell, and read the instructions. (This would only be for filling the low spot, not the whole floor).

Reply to
Paintedcow

That's one way to keep it in good condition.

Why do people park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Reply to
micky

...but not the reason we don't park in the garage.

Reply to
DerbyDad03