What Paint to cover the grain in Plywood?

I used plywood in my basement to cover some pipes but I don't like the way it looks painted. Will a good primer cover - zinsner - that grain or is there something else I should use?
thanks
Barry Feldman
Barry Feldman wrote:

you get to sheat up a wall or roof then you not gonna get anything to cover the grain... maybe sanpaper.. it was rough finish as its not a fininshed product....they dont make it rough on purpose, they just dont sand it or finish it on purpose(cost more money) and it was not made to be a finished product( its like the old time wood found in many old homes.. the wood went though a saw and not planed down like modern sold wood is today.... they did not need the wood planed so they did not do it....
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:29:27 GMT, jim wrote:

Prime then skim coat it with drywall mud

If you haven't already painted it, lots of sanding sealer and elbow work will hide the surface with enough layers.
Drywall (over wood if necessary) is a whole lot easier to paint and have look like you want.
Tim.
On 7 Jan 2004 10:15:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa) wrote (with possible editing):
...snip

In addition, it adds a bit of fire and noise resistance.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Barry... I did this too. I didn't like the wood look where it was used so I skim coated it with sheet rock mud, sanded lightly and then primed and painted it. You can't tell it isn't sheet rock. Good luck.
thanks everyone, I think the skim coat is a great idea - I've done that and I don't know why I didn't think of it. It will fill cover the grain. I can sand as well there's not really alot of wood exposed below the dropped ceiling line,
thanks everyone!
Barry Feldman

You could also screw sheetrock to it and finish it like a normal wall, maybe the 1/4" stuff if you dont want to enlarge it too much.
Cheers