What is this thing?

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:26:57 -0800, Thomas Edward Stosterone

ROTFLOLWTIME Well done.
Mike Dobony wrote:

They look like capacitors. If the house dates back to the 50's or older they may have been part of an external telephone bell. They may have been installed as a radio canceling device to filter out radio broadcasts on telephone line.
It could also be a crackpot customer device. These were various pieces of telephone equipment installed to do absolutely nothing but satisfy a chronic complainer. It would be a special/secret device that nobody was supposed to have. Believe it or not those devices actually worked. :)
LdB
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:19:03 -0600, L D'Bonnie wrote:

Yup, I found that each is a .25 UF capacitor.
If the house dates back to the 50's or

That was kind of what I thought.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:57:35 -0600, Mike Dobony

They should have a voltage rating. That would be clueful as to where they'd be used. Also, do the terminals have any polarity (+,-) labels?
Mike Dobony wrote:

It's a phase modulator for a warp drive conduit on a starship, I think.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I think Scotty left it behind, on the episode when they came to save the whale. It's from the 22nd century.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Flux Capacitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Dobony wrote:

I'd cast my vote for it being a phone line surge arrestor.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Mike Dobony wrote:

What has stopped working since it was removed?
Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

surge protection for old style (open wire} phone lines. outdated, they use different type now.

Helm controls. Can't quite get warp four, any more. Also the port side phasers don't fire. Scotty, you got to get that fixed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If it's from the 50s, then it might be a low temperature PCB- containment device.