What is this thing?

Page 1 of 2
We found this thing in the basement of my daughter's home they just bought. Can anybody identify what it is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23816537@N04/2267656766 /
guts of a doorbell?
charlie wrote:

That has all the markings of an old phone company device, but I don't know what it does. Could be an external ringer, or buzzer.
It just looks phone company. Is there a cover with a screw in the middle?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

I'm with Robert. It just oozes Western Electric vibes.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:05:37 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

Back in the 50's or early 60's, lots of electrical devices had that look. If it's a piece of telephone equipment, which I doubt, it is one of the remote annuciators used in factories or outdoors so you could hear that the phone was ringing in the office.
That's not something that would normally be used in a home. I really think this is simply a doorbell chime.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:13:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

BTW - it has three terminals so that it can deliver two different sounds. One sound means someone is at the front door, and the other means back door.
Mike Dobony wrote:

Does the doorbell work now?
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:31:06 GMT, Mike Dobony

An old set of doorbell chimes

Looks like a doorbell to me. lol
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:31:06 GMT, Mike Dobony

It's a solid-state phase rectification modulator. Back in the old days, they put one in every house. It regulated the electrical current so that the space-time continuum would stay constant. Then they found out it was supposed to be warped, so they quit using them.
-T.E. Stosterone
Thomas Edward Stosterone wrote:

After being discarded from this former use, an avid green recycling nut found an alternative use for domestic door bells!

And they were everafter known as the "Bose-Einstein Ding-Dongs".
-T.E.S.
Zz Yzx wrote:

I wish I could find the Trademark character at this time of the night/ early morning here. Didn't Dolby revise the tone?

Dolby made it sound good. Doplar had a huge effect too.
-T.E.S,
Zz Yzx wrote:

ECHo, echo.....
I'm getting a bit strung up by this; I guess there's a theory there somewhere or have I been watching too many butterflies in a Brazilian rain forest!

Bradbury had insight as well.
Clot wrote:

I'm wrong! T'was the Flying Spaghetti Monster what did it. It provided all us H. Saps. with ears to flap when we fell off tall parapits. A curious side effect that in earlier years they served a different purpose and were larger than today and were a saving grace. Without them, we would be extinct!
Another side effect that was not anticipated those many years ago was that these flapping machines could hear in stereo. Without that development Bose and Dolby could not have made money!
Doppler was just a passing thing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus