What is this?

Page 1 of 2
What is the thing on the bottom?
http://imgur.com/oeFtfKD
The thing on the top is a sparkplug gap gauge. The whole thing was in my late friend's truck.
On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 00:45:10 -0400, Micky

It looks like the tool you use to repair ball marks on the green.
On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 00:55:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hey, you're right. I knew it looked familiar, but it must have been 40+ years ago that I saw one. He didn't play golf afaik but his father might have.
I forgot to mention that it says Harshaw ColorPlate on it, but there's almost nothing about Harshaw in google.
On 06/01/2016 3:42 AM, Micky wrote: ...

Saw that (at least the Harshaw part)...I'd guess it was an advertising piece...maybe a local/regional paint manufacturer/distributor or somesuch???

His father and, later, he owned a metal plating company, in Baltimore. I wonder if the two businesses are related somehow.
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:55:21 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

...the other side is for tightening/changing shoe spikes.

Good to know. Now I have to buy shoes with cleats.
On 6/1/2016 12:45 AM, Micky wrote:

I don't totally know what it is, but golf players often carry them. My friend Bob Anderson was a big golf player, but he died a couple years back. Maybe some one at a golf pro shop can answer your question?
You might get a jargon answer. "Oh, when you bogie on the back fairway, you need to divot your putt, so you can play through, and you need one of these." I guess if you are easy to please and gullible, that answer will keep you wondering.
OTOH, might be another mechanic tool. Used to adjust the whippet tappet on the crank shaft piston rod free play cylinder valve assembly under the distributor on internal combustion overhead valve engines with flo jet carburetion fuel delivery systems. Know I'm sayin, bro?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

<Lots of drivel snipped>
You still refuse to eliminate reference to a nonexistent original post don't you? Have you always been this stubborn?

Yes, he has
On 6/1/2016 9:19 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Candidly, I have no clue what you are talking about. I try to do a reasonable job of trimming text. Might not meet your perfection, but I have no idea why.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 2:40:13 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'll take a guess. This may be what he is complaining about...
The original subject line of this thread is "What is this?"
The subject line for your first response reads as follows:
"Re: What is this? (golf tool of some kind)"
It appears as if you are referencing (via "Re:") a thread entitled:
"What is this? (golf tool of some kind)"
There is no thread entitled "What is this? (golf tool of some kind)" so Gordon is complaining that you are referencing a thread that doesn't exist.
Gordon...do I have that right? Obviously I can't see what you are seeing, so I may be misunderstanding your unhappiness with Stormy's methods.

You have it 100% correct!
I have explained it to him numerous times. You understand it perfectly, why can't stormy?
On 6/1/2016 5:09 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I've learned over the years to change the subject line as the subject changes. This is common courtesy and old world manners. Why can't Gordon understand it perfectly?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't have a problem with you changing the subject line. Obviously you don't understand that.
I, and maybe many others, do have a problem when the "re: " precedes the renamed subject line giving one the impression there is an original post -- which there isn't. Obviously you don't understand that either.
Quit acting like a liberal.
On 6/1/2016 6:14 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

You are so totally right that I didn't understand your concerns. Thanks for making that a bit more clear.
Now, in true liberal form, I need some government money for all the mental anguish. Have to call my case worker when I get a moment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:19:48 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Except that you are not doing it right, at least not in this case.
1 - The subject line of this thread was "What is it". The subject has not changed, but the question has been answered. Why are you including the answer in the subject line?
2 - Your use of Re: is the main problem. That is what is screwing up some newsreaders. Why can't you understand that perfectly.
That has been Gordon's complaint all along.
On 6/1/2016 6:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mostly cause Gordon did a poor job of describing. Now, I definitely need some government money for all this anguish.
What is wrong with people who netpick over Re: or use of apostrophes?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Another thing you learned over the years was top posting. I hope you can un-learn this bad habit quicker than it took you to un-learned top posting.
On 06/01/2016 06:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'm not a lawyer but I'd argue that Stormy has the right to use deadly force to stop scofflaw topic-shifters.