What is the best way to seal a dryer vent pipe??

We just took out our old gas dryer and there was a scary amount of lint behind it. (Probably released a lot of lint into the house, too). When I installed it about 10 yrs. ago, I had sealed all the joints in the 4" galvanized vent elbow at the back of the dryer - with regular duct tape. Is there a tape I can buy that won't dry out and get brittle over the years?? If I get desperate enough I'm going to seal it with silicone this time.
Thanks for any help.
Bob
Ask for metal tape at the hardware store. Tom
I agree with Tom. There is aluminum tape specifically made to seal hot ducting.
you might try one of those hose clamps... @one house where I lived they used a large piece of metal wire that held the hse tightly.
wizard2 wrote:

Use the metal tape as suggested. It is made for ducts, unlike duct tape. It will stick better and last longer. Don't use any screws as they are a cause of lint build up.
You might want to build in a T at one or more places along the line so you can clean out the line easier.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:17:27 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

That must be because duct tape is made for ducks.
wizard2 wrote:

Yep, the metal tape. I used it on my dryer vent a few years ago and it is still in good shape. -- H

Yes, go to any home center and buy aluminum foil ducting tape. This isn't the typical cloth "duct tape" (which should NEVER be used on ducts). It's shiny aluminum, and has a backer paper that you need to remove to expose the adhesive.
Thank you all for your help. I found a roll of that aluminum tape in my garage. Forgot that I had it!