What is code for lights and outlet?

Page 2 of 2
What s an arc fault type gfi breaker? An arc fault is an arc fault and a gfi is a gfi Two different animals two different applications
Excuse me I just re read the first part of your post and wrong again . The code states all bedroom outlets must be on a arc fault that includes lighiting so no seperate circuit for bedroom lighting. ask your local inspector
There is no code here, no permits, no inspections in this rural part of the country. I just wanted it to meet the code where they do have codes in the civilized part of the world because I like to have things done right. This house is only 4 years old. One 15 amp breaker serves all outlets and lights in both the bedroom and the bathroom including the GFI outlet. Another 15 amp breaker is on a line to the kitchen and living room. It does have a separate breaker for the kitchen counter, and another for the fridge outlet. The work I'll be doing will far surpass the original.
Bob

I cant keep going all day. Who ever said all kitchen counter top outlets must be on thier own circuit? How about two 20 amp circuits for appliance loads ?
Yes, there is a separate breaker for the washer, another for the stove and another for the hot water heater, although that line was done with surface wire and definitely not to code. That's why I'm moving the tank. Also doing the plumbing over because the hot and cold for the bathroom sink and the tub are reversed. You must consider that I bought this place for $23,900, truly affordable senior housing. Little by little I'm bringing it up to snuff. You should have seen the wiring when I bought the house. A 220 line for a/c hidden behind a baseboard. All wires to all outlets were attached in the opposite direction from how the screw tightens. The front and back porch lights didn't have a ground. The drain waste system from the bathroom didn't have a vent stack. I've already fixed the serious stuff and now I'll move on to putting everything up to code as if it were in a city with codes. The scary thing is that there were four owners who occupied this place before I bought it and they lived in a very unsafe house.
Bob

Just remember that the trades are not professionals by any definition, other than perhaps theirs. Most state legislatures define the "learned professions" and they don't include plumbers, electricians, and concrete types. These are trades in which you may find some very skilled workers, but more often many unskilled pretenders.
RB
rck wrote:

Yes, but all of these companies were listed as "Licensed, Bonded, Insured" and I mistakenly thought it meant something. In retrospect, I think it meant licensed to steal.
Bob

I want to thank everyone here for all the help and suggestions. I replaced the #14 with a #12 and now have two #12 going to the new room. I'll use one for the lav which will have fan, light and GFI. As you suggested, my friend was full of whatever and knew nothing about what should be done out there. I phoned the electrician and he said that while there aren't any inspections for homeowners doing over old housing outside the city limits, there is now very strict inspections for new housing in the county, and therefore I should make every effort to meet the new code. As someone else mentioned, one day they might require everything to meet code if I ever wanted to sell. That was the law in other places I've lived. And if it meets the code, it will also be safe, and there is peace of mind in that. The electrician said it's ok to put the GFI on the same circuit as the light as long as it's at the end of the line so if it trips, the light won't go out. Looks like we're heading the right direction. Thanks folks.
Bob
Bob