What is an acceptable way to extend concrete steps?

My front entry consisted of three concrete steps onto a landing. The whole business is about 3' high with the landing about 4' x 4'. I like to extend the existing staircase horizontally form an existing width of 4' to 8'. I could pour the new concrete to match but that's a lot of concrete to mix. How do you guys do this? Use concrete blocks, dirt or some kind or rubble below the landing and poured on top of it?

Reply to
Jack

Dirt.

To be a bit more technical- select fill compacted to a Proctor density of about 95%. Footings for the perimeter, pour the side walls monolithically with the stairs or poured separately, stripped, filled with select. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Are you trying to add two feet to each side, or four feet on one side? If the latter, can you find a matching pre-fab concrete stair and just drop it in place?

Reply to
Goedjn