What is a "residential jackshaft garage door opener" ?

I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Google is your friend. It's a wall mounted motor, usually placed next to the door. Makes less noise that a ceiling mount unit, works in garages where the ceiling is too high to make a standard opener practical or aesthetically less pleasant.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Can you post a link to a photograph, I can't visualize a wall-mounted motor raising an overhead style garage door?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/4/13, 9:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

try this link for some pix
http://tinyurl.com/lnycozy
or
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw 01&bih€1&q=jackshaft+garage+door+opener&oq=jackshaft+garage+door+opener&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i5j0i24l8.3032.3032.0.6199.1.1.0.0.0.0.158.158.0j1.1.0....0...1ac.1.31.img..0.1.158.9-PZUKsspDs
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some of those appear to be jackshaft units, others no.
A jackshaft is simply an in-between shaft. IOW, an extra shaft put between the drive shaft and the driven shaft for one reason or another. It may be to reduce the length of belts or pulluys. Others, to change a direction or change ratios.
"In general, a jackshaft is any shaft that is used as an intermediary transmitting power from a driving shaft to a driven shaft."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackshaft
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/4/13, 9:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

try this link for some pix
http://tinyurl.com/lnycozy
or
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw 01&bih€1&q=jackshaft+garage+door+opener&oq=jackshaft+garage+door+opener&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i5j0i24l8.3032.3032.0.6199.1.1.0.0.0.0.158.158.0j1.1.0....0...1ac.1.31.img..0.1.158.9-PZUKsspDs
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

OK I was questioning how you could open the door without some sort of track to guide it, the photos showed that a pair of tracks was still needed.
Thanks for the responses.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/5/2013 11:35 AM, Oren wrote:

Ours does, in fact we have two duplex outlets on each side of the garage near the door for a total of four outlets. Also there are several more on the sides of the garage but further from the door.
In fact, I thought that most newer (after about 1995) had outlets in an attached garage.
Don
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a number of outlets, but none are "close" to the overhead door.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've got receptacles on the front wall of my garage on both sides of the overhead door.
I've also got receptacles on the back wall and both side walls midway into the garage.
Even if I didn't have them, they are not that hard to add. In fact I added all but the original one which is on the front wall right next to the overhead door.
Oh yeah, I've got one on the ceiling. The GDO is plugged into it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
You note that you added most of the outlets. The original number of outlets is probably more typical of what garages come with, to dangle a preposition.
Add pictures here
βœ–

True, but the original receptacle was right next to the overhead door.
My point(s) being is that even though Oren says he's never seen a receptacle on a (side) wall near the overhead door...
1 - Some houses came with them 2 - They are easily added wherever they are needed or wanted.
Add pictures here
βœ–