What is a "residential jackshaft garage door opener" ?

I recently saw an advertisement for a home that had a "residential jackshaft garage door opener". I don't have clue what that would be. Help!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Google is your friend. It's a wall mounted motor, usually placed next to the door. Makes less noise that a ceiling mount unit, works in garages where the ceiling is too high to make a standard opener practical or aesthetically less pleasant.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Can you post a link to a photograph, I can't visualize a wall-mounted motor raising an overhead style garage door?

Reply to
hrhofmann

try this link for some pix

or

Retired

try this link for some pix

or

Retired

Some of those appear to be jackshaft units, others no.

A jackshaft is simply an in-between shaft. IOW, an extra shaft put between the drive shaft and the driven shaft for one reason or another. It may be to reduce the length of belts or pulluys. Others, to change a direction or change ratios.

"In general, a jackshaft is any shaft that is used as an intermediary transmitting power from a driving shaft to a driven shaft."

nb

Reply to
notbob

OK I was questioning how you could open the door without some sort of track to guide it, the photos showed that a pair of tracks was still needed.

Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Ours does, in fact we have two duplex outlets on each side of the garage near the door for a total of four outlets. Also there are several more on the sides of the garage but further from the door.

In fact, I thought that most newer (after about 1995) had outlets in an attached garage.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

I have a number of outlets, but none are "close" to the overhead door.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've got receptacles on the front wall of my garage on both sides of the overhead door.

I've also got receptacles on the back wall and both side walls midway into the garage.

Even if I didn't have them, they are not that hard to add. In fact I added all but the original one which is on the front wall right next to the overhead door.

Oh yeah, I've got one on the ceiling. The GDO is plugged into it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You note that you added most of the outlets. The original number of outlets is probably more typical of what garages come with, to dangle a preposition.

Reply to
hrhofmann

True, but the original receptacle was right next to the overhead door.

My point(s) being is that even though Oren says he's never seen a receptacle on a (side) wall near the overhead door...

1 - Some houses came with them 2 - They are easily added wherever they are needed or wanted.
Reply to
DerbyDad03